Thursday, 27 August 2026

'ETERNAL FULL MOON' BY BLACK HOLE MYTHS






(image by G. L. Aspinall)


Today my dear friend Grant Aspinall came round and made me a happy man, for we uploaded some songs to Bandcamp to make an album called ‘Eternal Full Moon’ by Black Hole Myths. We used to be called Funnelspirals and brought out an E. P. called ‘The A and E. P.’ on Soundcloud. Grant also recorded a solo album for me which is likewise on Soundcloud; and then there were some songs we did together on his own retrospective solo album ‘Self-Portrait No 357.’ Now when the sirens call from the rocks that I should quit the book and deem it the music, I will feel more inclined to, as this new album by our new name Black Hole Myths has come together.


We both write the material and perform it too… a song like ‘Hope’ sees a parallelism or mirroring process where the song is in two parts, and the first part is music by me and lyrics by Grant, and the second part music by Grant and lyrics by me. That song, it is supposed to be a journey from tension to resolution. It turned out like a binary-machine – very bipolar.


The Trial’ I wrote with my imaginary friend on the intercom while I sat alone in a kitchen. ‘Trip’ meanwhile has some Syd Barrett-esque guitar work going on from me and some cosmic poetry from Grant. ‘Atonement’ and ‘Dolphin Moon’ are both washes by Grant with my narration and in the case of ‘Dolphin Moon’ Grant’s poetry. The title track ‘Eternal Full Moon’ is a riff I had knocking around for some time. The lyrics to that one are Grant’s but I contributed a line or two as we wrote it in the back garden here at Cumpstones. Although there are only 6 songs on the album, it is to my mind a fine piece of work, and so it made me a happy man to see it go up today.


It could be that Grant is paying me back with kindness for the kindness I showed him in organising his first poetry collection, Songs and Poems by G. L. Aspinall. but that we don’t know. I look forward to the collection coming out and having a copy of it in my doing hand. I like to read sitting up in bed, not on my side. But I sleep on my side. 














No comments:

Post a Comment