PART
ONE:
NORMAN
NICHOLSON’S RUNNER BEANS
THE
DAWN
Dawn
leaks out, its light slipping
through
the dark fingers of the trees.
If
I bring this to publication,
it
will mean wood.
The
woods are a traditional
testing
ground in literature.
These
days things are wireless.
I
might’ve gone right
when
I asked Paul
what
colour is white?
What
is a while?
Is
this where the truth
flies
or the truth fairy?
In
the past, being the witness
from
The
Lords And The New Creatures
I
might’ve been burned at the stake.
When
you’re gone we hope
the
doors will
open
up enough.
Maybe
we can
do
the new creatures again.
BREAKFAST
Breakfast today was two fried eggs, sunny side up,
on toast left to cool slightly so the yellow butter
didn’t break the surface, with a pink-rimmed cup
containing black coffee with a lump of brown sugar,
plus streaky bacon turned in the dark-blue AGA
and dipped in red sauce, all on a new, milk-white
plate with green rim, which, when eating was over,
and I was quench’d and sated, feeling alright,
I left to soak in soapy bubbles in the kitchen sink.
I belched quite crudely then, which was my food
popping up to say ‘hello,’ and drank of my drink,
the coffee from its pot, coffee which can be renewed,
and, grateful for plenitude, felt somewhat satisfied,
and
took my leisure to the beautiful world outside.
WHICHAM VALLEY AS A SCRATCH ON A CD
If a place is still its own mind,
this one quietly dreams
and falls ever further behind.
No, there is no Tourist sign to tell
how rich in natural and human history
is this valley by the oldest fell.
I heard the church is built on the foundations
of the oldest stone built monastery
in the whole of this fair nation.
Black Combe’s foothill Sea Ness (I hear)
was once named Seer Ness after
the trance of a mystic or seer.
Nature’s scales are all diatonic
and from all background static depression
here is her sonic, spiritual tonic.
The beck runs its hand smooth through
an angel’s hair in the garden and
assuages the soul when you’re blue.
On Sunday the posse of motorbikes
comes for the valley’s curves,
the flowing of troughs and spikes.
I could report on more, much more,
but shall just impart that down the beach,
waves still make gentle love to the shore.
THE LOCAL TRAIN LINE
You can go backwards to Christmas on a train
and often I would, and sometimes doze.
Squirrels can fly if perceived in the caravan
of trees sailing past through railway train windows -
windows that taste like an old copper coin.
I remember taking the train on schooldays
from the local village’s request stop station
to the industrial town they call Barrow-in-Furness,
round the estuary which Norman Nicholson
mapped in a poetry that remains matchless.
So many birds can be observed when on
that journey, already feeling semi-famous.
The gentle arrhythmia cajoles you into a lull,
the sound of the wreckety wreckety wreck.
When you get on it’s empty, but it is full
at the end of the journey like a swollen beck.
I would already smoke pollen at school.
At the end of the schoolday I would travel back.
Now as I write I hear the train toot its horn.
I won’t get on it anymore, not since COVID,
and since becoming so paranoid within
that I prefer to not venture all the way outside,
into the town, that is. So here I remain,
survivor of a pathetic attempt at suicide.
Tiny engines may rev up on pellucid glass,
augmenting the sense of cosiness you feel,
when heading for school, for an A-level class
about the meaning of Caliban and Ariel.
The Sixth Form girls would giggle at me as
I sat there reading a book of Robert Lowell.
Going to the private school meant I never
cheered up and joined in with the human race.
If there is a difference between being clever
and having what they call moral compass,
we should all sit together, and endeavour
to unite while keeping intact our difference.
The telegraph poles went flowing past.
Counting them I never picked a favourite.
I’d hope for the flow of the day to go fast.
If the weather was rubbish I’d get used to it.
Achieving my dream of being the best essayist
was easier when I put my sober mind to it.
A boy I was, mewling and puking to school,
feigning High Indifference when there.
Back then the currency was in being cool.
Exciting was the license to scent the air.
The music I collected was the sacred pool.
I was in love with a girl with brown hair.
Sometimes we’d bunk off and go walking
in a kind of pantheistic or animistic trance,
or sleep in caves; or stay up talking -
but never once did she see me dance!
To Amsterdam and Paris we went gallivanting -
to see the museums – to not waste the chance.
At the end of school I went down south
and broke off the relationship in doing so,
started to let ecstasy pills into my mouth,
worked some boring jobs and went with the flow.
The train was a gullet, gulping back and forth.
Sometimes we’d travel under a rainbow.
TO REDEEM A DREAM OF FREEDOM
Once again it falls on me to be the one to say
that biding my time from here to eternity
to see if the lawn has sprung a flower
watch out for the Honda lawnmower:
for I mow the grass where the Plough aligns.
I try to keep to neat, symmetrical lines.
When the first, fresh, redolent, enervating
scent of change begins its fermenting
on the ego-loss breeze it is my duty
to the Natural World and all her beauty
to mow the grass – a foot high with neglect,
it was today, but owing to my respect
it’s been cut down, mowed over. Well,
I love the smell of petrol more than the smell
of a fresh Christmas tree, and to do
something with my life is also new
reward in itself. It’s not like I get paid -
but it redeems a dream of freedom in my head.
Now when my mother looks out the glass,
she doesn’t have to look at foot-high grass,
but sees her plants in all their little pots,
their little de-institutionalisations and bets,
and the dog rolls around like he’s found
Paradise down there on the ground.
0
COLLARED DOVE
I see a collared dove fly
and it lifts up my heart.
Into the filament of bird
I travel on. Birds
are for flying, not
for special perception.
It rises from right to left, fluttering
its wings in a frenzy, furiously flapping,
leaving the ground, ascending
an echelon of fresh air, taking
flight in a flurry of feathers
and disappears behind
the yew tree. A bird
could be a portal of discovery.
It could lead to light
even if descended
from the dinosaurs
whose dawn chorus out-shone
the colours of the vowels.
A FROND OF BRACKEN
[with apologies to Brian Patten]
You ask me for a poem.
I offer you a frond of bracken.
You say that’s not good enough.
You’re not buying it.
I say how mood
Is also a bracken frond
Drooping down and
That is why I chose it –
To represent ‘mood’
This mundane Monday morning.
You’re not buying it.
You want something textual.
I say I plucked it from the fell
Which turns in summer
From russet to green
Like an homicidal machine.
I plucked it at random at dawn.
You’re still not buying it.
I seem to remember a time,
Taking the old bramble road
At the Augustan/ Romantic
Crucifix with you
Where a frond
Of bracken
Would do.
BLACK
COMBE
It’s
not so much a stereo, nor television
but
Black Combe is
a rustic alarm clock.
Looking
up from the foot at its striated
way,
you see it dips in the middle like
dad’s
baggy hammock from Afghanistan.
As
a child I had a mythos about tunnels
plunged
in its heart, lined with free beer
dispensers,
fruit machines and burning
torches
which
you could access through a portal
at
the back of the cave on the face of Sea Ness;
but
that’s just children’s talk and more
recently
I trained myself to run to the top!
Up
there you’ll find a cairn and if it’s not
too
misty can see a view of four kingdoms!
THE
SUNSET CAFE
At
the Sunset cafe down the beach
you
watch the waves roll
out of reach…
you
see the sea’s heaving, maternal bosom
and
meditate on your recycled breath.
The
coffee arrives, not strong enough
for
mother who needs a second shot;
then
the cooked breakfast is for kings, containing
every
snooker ball colour somehow.
People
down
there
in the sentient air
say
they’ll keep their witness sinless.
You
hear their talk reverberate around
amidst
the alliterative and trivial
taking
of toast and tea and sit
in
front of the wide windows, watching.
The
streamlined design of the place
allows
for optimum beach-observation,
feels
like something from the future,
windows
washed
by the mermaids under the waves
until
smooth like a pebble in among
the
natural art exhibition of the shoreline.
It’s
trips like this that tip you back
into
poesis when you have to choose
between
poetry and philosophy and stick to it.
Even
when you are really stuck,
literally
pinned to the spot, by a
monthly
anti-psychotic injection,
the
movement to the shoreline brings good fortune,
to
see the beach abounding with dogs,
to
smell the good, clean, sea-salty air,
to
be among the lovers of nature and the outdoors,
to
sit in the Sunset cafe and drift,
on
an afternoon approaching autumn.
WALKING
TO ICELAND
N
is the top of the telegraph pole
standing
leaning in the Combe field.
The
pole itself
was
once a football goal
when
the future was hopeful and unrevealed.
My
brothers fired rifles up one summer.
I
did not participate, hung in the shadows
with
a notebook and an acoustic guitar.
They
turned away to aim for crows!
I
watched them from my leery shadow, here
where
the stars realign, in the day,
and
later maybe we shared a beer…
a
hunter might have a bit less to say.
If
I were charting that bullet, that
trajectory,
I’d write of walking to Iceland
on
a landscape of cloud, but I am not,
and
hope guns rot and all
get banned.
To
topple a pole I imagine you’d need to
smash
the ceramic disk at the top,
but
through what means I do not know
except
corrosion. It’s a new music shop
up
there, where standards fly like flags
and
axioms pertain to the bullet too,
fired
by my brothers in-between fags,
on
a day when the sky was Nirvana-blue.
Now
that love can be our arrow,
it’s
seen in the flowers in the garden outside;
and
even though the days will get narrow,
it’s
safe to say that love has not died.
THE IDEA OF ORDER AT THE FOOT OF SEA NESS
Let us have a go then, you and I -
when we are tired of getting high -
when the note-well is filled with stars that swap
places when no-one is looking, let us kindly lie
down on the top of the oldest fell,
one midsummer night on the heather,
and munch our popcorn in front of the cinema.
Let us travel by xylophone up there, predictive
text, Robin Hood arrow, fountain pen,
or even better, to use imagination,
as the poet must again and again,
let’s travel by bullet up the top of a
telegraph pole opening piratical CD shops
at all the local telegraph pole tops.
Let us bypass normal societal procedure,
and stay there until we yawn at the dawn
and emerge from dreams as if from water,
brush the crumbs of sleep from our clicked-on
eyes, befuddled, encrusted with glue…
For up the fell no cars come and go
with backbeats blaring on the stereo;
and no go faster stripes of booze
are streaming on the unicorn’s side.
Ha, let us open a Burger King joint
at the top, not so much to reappoint
the pantheon of Greco-Roman gods
whom it seems disintegrate under their sods,
but to allow a new sense of archaic gay,
replace that emotion now gone astray
with gun and bud and band and butter:
let it be like writing a long letter
either to or maybe from a higher self
whose brain sits upon a Waterstones shelf.
Let us first dare the darkness to insist
we sip our flasks at night and get pissed
on firewater whisky – let us turn
to God and see what we might learn.
If dog still equals pi times mc squared,
because you want to think Him round,
and O is still the key of water, be assured,
and its most soul-assuring sound,
let us babble down in the morning,
all the way, heeding the warning,
to make as mezzanine our science,
in an increasingly competitive world…
already the elements have nettle stings for names.
The deep, green lane leads you home,
but first you must launch your song
into the blue ether like a Timeshare salesman
sizzling the dream of a plate of roast beef.
Draw on this dystrophy of darkness
soon coming to your cinema screen
now that we’re at the summit and can glean
honed alertness, awareness, from a purpose
achieved over a long afternoon of walking,
walking side by side and even talking
on telepathic walkie talkies of how no,
there’s no such thing as the Nirvana barcode,
how maybe in very Heaven every step
we’ve ever taken up the fell will be kept
in a pile for us to count and compare -
only to find no statistics up there!
Ah, I forget if we are up or down -
let us fetch the wines of the wise men -
it seems planes are the shoes of clowns -
but forgetting is part of escape and return…
there is only loss of self and recollection,
which templates over life and writing,
which templates over experience and data,
which templates over the now and the after.
Let us phone a supernatural female deity
on collect call, and find that she
never hangs up, after a prayer,
let us pray to the closing of the door,
the ordeal of the seer may well soon be over,
the on and off at once invention is far too clever,
let be the beck as it rambles and falls,
let know the flowing of dry stone walls,
let over be under and all be at one,
let the land of flying fairy cakes be fun.
Already the yellow DogMuckels M
atop the pole in the industrial park in town
is the postmodern churchspire, in
the spiritual vacuum, post-modernism
theme dissolved into message, and
semantics is a road sign not a place.
Already margins are centres, centres margins,
surface is depth, and distortion
clarity, and there is a ream of cheap tea
from Africa in among the supermarket bargains…
Hell, we’ll have another game of cards.
We’ll link to the internet in actual clouds.
Yes chink pelvises like champagne flutes
atop the fell wearing leather walking boots.
Sometimes in dreams I find an organisational system
for the organic whole of the magnum
opus, that living work of art
I might call Gondwanaland yet
which is a living thing, which I should leave long,
not try and make cohere like Pound,
but when I wake and press my feet to the ground,
the Order I dreamed, the scheme, is gone -
and Truman speakers wake me like a gong
augmenting the end of ‘The Lemon Song.’
Who will renew the morning dew
that music has moved the green grass to?
All the birds have gone south by now.
I heard that they sing with their wings.
(2019)
CUMULO-NIMBUS HAIR
The powers that be could be clouds,
passing by on their sky-blue roads…
today they are sparse and moving East,
not too slowly, and not too fast.
It’s warm outside for Autumn time.
As a child I thought Autumn Optimus Prime -
that Transformer from the kids’ cartoon.
I still think there’s something in
the personification – a triumphant sense -
for Prime is the sum of all difference
connected – that Sigma where everything meets;
and Autumn is likewise a God in Keats.
But speaking of weather only shows I am
amicable as a person. The strawberry jam,
meanwhile, has all run out on scones;
and so as if to blunt, yellow crayons
I return to art at the foot of the fell,
where it might all be “signed by everwell”
but isn’t, for that may be too untrue,
and just for something, anything to do!
If clouds were really in charge above
they’d look down on the world of love
and legalise soft, Moroccan pollen
and make all kinds of English education
the same high standard and free
and as they passed towards the sea,
cancel cuts to benefits and to the tax
on the rich…. they’d encourage sex
instead of war, and keep the room
temperature in the months of gloom
above a certain level for people over
a certain age for free with all their power -
and all their power would still pass,
as we lay out on the back lawn’s grass
and watched them go, wearing ripped genes
adorned with peace and anarchy signs,
and DM boots on the red brick road,
away to dump their wet, rainy load...
with this idea of State I quite agree;
but it would be an Impracticable Democracy!
SIX DEFACED BANK NOTES
*
When I read of Descartes on perfection and turn inward my eye to investigate I glimpse a perfect, inner judge whose concerns are grammatical.
*
Sullen, silken sulks,
we drink the same rain,
spit is clean
and
so is dirt.
*
There is joy in things
and smiles not grins like butter
but
like butterflies.
*
Blessed may be the end at last,
under the sea,
below the soul,
in the upside-down
Oceans above us
(all
that heaven sends is rain.)
*
Semen
spills like silver water,
under
the bridge with the angel’s daughter,
splashing
with laughter in a moon-glow chamber.
*
Down
down
down
down
down
deep
blue
below
“eh
up,
mate,”
says
my
mate
and
is
it
safe
to
say
hello?
*
Leaves that played on the surface of the water,
these are the leaves they have in Heaven,
these
are the leaves of love.
(1996
- 2017)
A MEMORY STILL THERE
Between
A
Trance Of Stalks
by Prof. Quentin Ponsonby
and
The
Scrotbag Party Manifesto,
there is
a
specific night in my mind. My bros and I
were
having a scrotbag party in the caravan,
when
all of a sudden I got a strange Sixth Sense
that
the dog had run away and was trapped
on
a farmer’s fence barking. I hushed my bros
and
listened and could faintly hear what I thought
was
barking; so we embarked on a mission.
Our
tombstone-shadows stretched out beneath
the
moon as we walked through the church field,
and
got to the adjoining gate, where there’s
a
triangular patch of land not ours. There,
a
terrible goat was tied up, and we could see
its
eyes shine a baleful green colour when
a
car passed,
headlights flick-knifing the darkness.
We
weren’t so sure about the terrible goat,
but
made it past him and got to the farm
where
we found the dog trapped to a fence, barking.
I
was wearing a fur coat and in the pocket
there
was a bottle opener with which I cut
the
dog free. He was hard to be cross with
but
I showed some crossness and we brought him
home,
locked him in the scullery and continued
our
scrotbag party, in the caravan, in the back.
That
meant drinking, smoking, talking, laughing,
playing
guitar and having a good time. Strange,
it
seems to me still, how fertile my Sixth Sense
was,
how I was almost preternaturally right
about
the escaped dog that night, as if we were
connected,
like
something
from Carlos Castaneda.
THE PLOUGH-SHAPED STAIRS
The Plough-shaped stairs are made of pine,
up we go to the creaky mezzanine,
to gaze out at the garden of Gondwanaland-green
through the Victorian, stained-glass window, then
up another bit to the top of the stairs,
to the landing, where the bedrooms are.
But now it is Night and mum comes
tottering downstairs and goes out,
out into the garden of Gondwanaland-green
and calls me out there to look at the Plough!
It isn’t in the socket, but abstracted,
miles away and aslant. “One of those stars,”
she says “is the North star, and always
points north whatever time of day it is.”
We look at the stars together, without pareidolia,
without imposing order on something
through use, just as innocent spectators.
Then when we come back in, I sit
at the table in the kitchen and mum -
she goes walking up the Plough-shaped stairs.
She is carrying things, water for example.
The Plough-shaped stairs are one of
the house’s best features. She goes
step by step, lifting her little feet,
all the way up, past the creaky mezzanine,
and towards the source of the music, emanating
from her new Smartspeaker in her bedroom.
The music is old but is still relevant.
HIGH
BROW FARM
There’s
no psycho-sensitive
fire
alarm sounding out
at
High brow Farm, full
of fear and doubt
but
the horses listen to the radio
and
the artists say it’s best to aim low.
I
went along with a melody sweet
to
a
fairy-haunted artistic retreat.
The
kettle ascended like a cathedral
choir
to
a silent scream and the host made a fire
whose
faces flickered and lithely
danced
and
left the observer almost entranced…
we
piled on the money when it was roaring
and
through conversation our
spirits were soaring.
We
spoke about the art adorning the walls,
how
one day there well may be stalls
selling
tickets when the place has become
akin
to the Northern
Tate
as a museum!
When
I left I was down
but soon went back
where
names had tastes and Thursday was black
and
loafed in the garden drinking tea
in
the great, amassing shade of a tree.
I
saw lithe
spirits flowing
from right
to
left as I sat there, and O what a sight -
a
vision of Nature, and love
more holistic,
but
I kept it quiet, like
a postmodern
mystic!
A REALIST VISION OF WINTER
If winter has her compensations,
they might be found in the rosy cheek
of the woman waiting at the station’s
tentative platform in the week;
in a layer of frost crisp underfoot;
in the breath making tortuous, iron
statues in the emaciated light;
in the whole gulp of white sun
going blind behind a thorny tree,
splintering into a thousand shards
like a coruscation of divinity;
in staying in and playing cards
beside a roaring sitting room fire;
in chimney smoke against a canvas-sky;
in a little sprinkling of icing sugar
on the tops of fells as we drive by…
soup and hearty stews as well.
If Christmas has become a mad, red
rush of consumerism, such detail
cannot be bought, so I’m not sad -
sad to see the wintry trees all bare,
sad the days are dark and short.
There is no cause for dark despair
when winter’s visions can’t be bought.
PLANTING A CHERRY TREE WITH MUM
Today I planted a new cherry tree
with my mother, dug
a hole, but not to
receive my mortal body,
more to grow in soul,
here at the foot of the oldest fell.
I stood on the spade
to get my weight
to do the work and
cut through the grass
which cuts with a crunch
and dug a square
and when the hole was
deep enough and
all the loose soil
had been piled up in the wheel barrow
I held the tree in place while
my mother refilled the hole…
then I filled the watering can while
I thought “maybe Dave Morley
is unto water as Einstein
was unto light,” and watered
the tree as mother
happy-snapped me
and now the photo of me
watering the newly planted tree
will go on Facebook which
is the nearest thing to
a holiday I have had
since the fifth Amsterdam trip.
Nothing else has happened today
that is more worthy of reporting
than my planting a tree
with my mother which
filled me with satisfaction.
Further only to report
that as my mother says life is
not about being a genius, but
about hard work, day in
and day out and poetry
likewise is not the entrance
and exit of life…
FULCRUM
Floating
in the quiet of a weightless dawn,
the
buzzard is the crux of the flux of time,
the
reason the colour of Cumbria is brown;
and
his mating call is a primal scream;
and
then he swoops, streamlined, down,
far
from the world of pretence and dream,
to
remind that Creation is a dark machine,
to
mug his prey, packed
with dynamism.
He
knows, that is, to obviate not titivate,
sate
his quest for meat, how to fling
to
his bright ring, his peerless orbit,
and
like a balancing act to just hang,
in
the fire-streaked dawn’s young light,
sensing
his prey below, without a pang
of
conscience for the inevitable death of it,
free
as the air in my self-healing lung…
Imagination,
I reckon,
has engendered
this
bird, and that faculty can heal the split
in
the psyche, duality. Unencumbered
the
buzzard is, when he swoops to eat.
The
days of his prey below are numbered.
He
shows how Creation is no mean feat -
imagined,
not observed or remembered,
he
has bad
manners but is discrete.
THE EMOTIONAL CONDOM OF THE WORLD
I heard we grew our great brains by eating meat
and, needing to spread information about it,
about farming, hunting, killing, eating things
developed words for birds that sing with their wings...
now, the pre-verbal, the thought-pattern, translated
into words, via the mechanics of meaning, is diluted.
Language is the emotional condom of the world,
into which we are all so traumatically hurled.
One day we may learn to eat language, but for now
I’ll
settle for
the rump of the local farmer’s cow.
RIMBAUD IN CUMBERLAND
O Louise what have I done to your saying!?
I see there have been people here before me!
Nevertheless, I hope the following
words are still mine own:
Blessed may be the end at last,
under the sea,
below the soul,
in the upside-down
Oceans above us
(all that heaven sends is rain).
And though my dad did I don’t believe in heaven.
Heaven is a pile of statistics no-one will ever see.
And once I fell asleep
under a tree
in London town.
LIVING
IN THE LAKES
Living
in the Lakes I am often struck
by
the sensation that life
is
going on within the pages
of
The
Lords And The New Creatures.
It
could be just a slant of light
that
gives the game away,
the
remnant evanescence behind the fell
when
the sun has set and the fell darkened.
It’s
either that or Nirvana
Unplugged
In New York.
For
that I think of rivers,
such
as the River Esk to the north.
In
the summertime, we like to go
outdoor
swimming in the Esk.
Today
the weather has cooled
so
it is not a good time to go.
So
I could speak of a “storied” world,
a
mythographic universe intact,
an
infradiegetic existence
saturated
with inter-textuality,
or
I could talk of sheep and cows,
the
way the rain falls at a slant,
the
green-ness of the grass,
and
all of Nature’s abundance.
It
is a pretty place to live,
which
Jim Morrison himself
intended
to visit on one of his trips,
but
never got round to in the end.
The
fell overlooks with its bald,
blank
forehead. Driving from town
it
appears a great, slumbering
diplodocus
come to fat and die
by
the Irish Sea; but nearer
the
foot you see it could be Buddha,
Buddha
levitating. Walking
up
could be Western meditation...
but
if you mention the slow
ascent
up flat, gradual paths,
I
think more of a bullet to the top
of
a telegraph pole, or even the kettle
that
rises to its silent scream,
its
steam Ariel returning on Caliban’s
chain.
No, I have not been up
the
fell for a long time now; so
it’s
like I am growing into one
of
the locals! But to the fleeting,
evanescent
backdrop of dying light
behind
the darkened fell at perfumed sunset
I
often turn, stare until life grows
detached,
naked, until I remember
how
weird everything is, how
mysterious
and magical the universe.
BECK
VARIATION
Standing
in my wellies beside the beck,
I
note its most
mellifluous
applause,
how
it falls two feet
into
a sound as sweet
as
a kettle drum’s metal petals
of
silver bliss that blossom
on
a carnival’s street.
Further
to distil the air in the mind,
I
wait, to obviate not titivate,
and
notice the green kingdom all around.
A
squadron of nettles guards the wild.
It
must be so different from
living
in
Norman Nicholson’s Millom,
down
the end of Rottington Road.
A
lone bird pipes a bar in a tree.
Then
I notice I need to pee.
So
into the heavenly nectar I do.
H20
might stand for Hypothalamus Tattoo.
SPYING A WILD DEER IN THE COMBE FIELD
I looked a wild deer in the eye and held
its gaze while both of us remained motionless.
I saw it run like mine own desire, unfold
its leap and bounce and springiness.
I’d only gone into the garden to smoke
and saw it grazing, in its own world,
up by the babbling beck in the back,
contained in the museum that’s the field.
While I paused to watch it, it grazed away,
then noticed me and both of us froze.
While I was still, the deer looked at me
cautious of danger one might presuppose -
then I made a movement and it leaped,
jumped into orbit, red, running off fast.
I watched it running all the way, rapt,
and saw it leap over a fence at the last.
Cloaked in the aura of special perception,
the encounter was almost like a visit -
to see those elegant legs in extension -
as if the deer were an extension of the poet.
Nibbling up the beck my mouth is water
and when I speak it spills on the earth.
I try not to flaunt my role in Nature.
Down to the sea I flow without death.
SUNSET TO THE WEST
I was swimming in the Irish Sea
at sunset with my mother,
watched from the stony beach
by my poor, dying father
when I realised
my place is in life is lowly.
I was languishing
in salty expiation
as a laughter of seagulls flew past
wearing shark mask replicas
when I realised
my place in life is lowly.
I turned my body away
from the beach towards
the peach-stone of
a black hole, being slowly
sucked into the sea’s
watercress hives and drowned
and realised my place in life is lowly… and
the setting sun is bought and sold
and silting gold, leaking
out in all directions
like
MC squared =
PART
TWO:
FRESH
SEA AIR
THAT’S
IT
E’en
though it’s not Anon
I
see the Flo’ moving on
the
floor
up at mormor’s here
and
find in sharing room to cheer
for
we have written this
new Proust
and
with my hands which
can attest
to
weathers all about my head
that
mean the sharing of the bread
which
have been here
since the start
of
finding
salvation
in
art...
at
the
moment
Flo’s just the noise
of
playing with her baby toys
but
soon she’ll sleep and then wake
and
later eat a fairy cake
and
one day grow to be a mum
but
as
for myself
I cannot come
and
without the ability to ejaculate
I
may have grown a little late
and
can’t continue singing of
women
in the wind with love
so
I should say “That’s All Folks,”
it’s
impossible to mend your broken yolks,
e’
en when you sit with smokes
and
tell your friend some dirty jokes.
AURORA FLOREALIS REVISITED
Gilly flowers curtsey, not off the sound-map.
To make a flower-press would be womanly.
When our days still ended on cannabis
we would bemoan that flowers were legal.
To the tune of the wind I sink, then swim.
I no longer puff the evil weed these days.
It would be a reward, a kind of dialysis,
that separates the murk from the excellence.
I would need it to balance out my mind,
one homeostatic device for another one.
Now I worry that I am hurried and florid.
I hear an A. E. I. O. U. bird toot its long,
hollow horn out on the A595 and relax.
I hear its wheels go round, that it’s heavy.
*ketamineguitar*
EXCERPT FROM A WORD-SCIENCE NOTEBOOK
“Juvenile dementia” is a term I invented for a condition that mixes teenage angst and youthful idealism.
I don’t need to go over it all again: in Lower Sixth my teenage philosophy in a nutshell was sensus praecedit cogitationem. It could be the motto of the LSE’s Philosophy Dpt. But when you write it down what happens?
Tonight it is your right to judge by heart alone.
When I first read the line “I look forward to the future with rapt uncertainty - and I can’t stand the suspense,” for some unknown reason it chimed like bells, reverberating up in the fells and struck a warm, psychic chord. I even conjured lines to rhyme with it before I knew what it meant like:
[John is dancing with aliens in collective ecstasy].
Waves
[squiggle]
crossed the FTSE
[squiggle]
and the Helter-skelter
[squiggle]
crashed in the electric-sea
[squiggle].
Every Atom Ate Our Eyes.
Blessed may be the end at last,
under the sea,
below the soul,
in the upside-down
Oceans above us
(all that Heaven sends is rain).
Words,
words, words. What are words? These are words. Words in this
epistemology I would say are useful tools associated with the
instinct to survive. Man
is words and ‘man’ is a word and words draw bridges across
metaphysics and words make connections between first and third
persons. Words
are also a great bandwagon of falsity we must presume is not false in
order to make life easier. Words
are, well, ONLY words.
“Mayfly,”
I say the word
“mayfly”
phonetically
sounding
out its every
vowel
sound alphabetically.
Also
in
Sixth Form, in my word-science notebook I wrote
the word “entropy” backwards and tried to give it meaning:
y.
p. o. r. t. n. e. = 4
Reading
of ancient alchemists in The
Lords And The New You Know Who
by Jim
Morrison I wrote “waves make gentle love to the shore.” Reading
of a schoolboy contemplating getting stoned on milk in Little
Johnny’s Confession
by Brian
Patten I wrote “homework tonight is to remember your dreams.”
The
symbol [R] could still
represent
the stance,
the large-R
Romantic stance that there is room for Creativity in the synapse
gulf; that the
Creative
spark
is not all mappable/ predictable in advance.
When
you renounce the quest for meaning you find it, fall back on
meaning-by-proxy.
POLLEN
DOOR
We
all know of Flora’s pretty pretext,
which
I was the one to spot and articulate,
even
though I had never known her kiss,
which
looking back was a mistake,
but
never has it been so well dealt with
as
when at the age of seven, I
separated
the pollen from its name,
for
Jim Morrison has a theory
that
when an object is detached
from
its name, habits and associations
it
is finally free to become endlessly anything
and
when that object is pollen
never
has the theory been so beautifully tested,
never
has summer
love
been so evident,
never
has fresh air been so much the cause.
GOLDFISH
BOWL UPDATE
Mrs.
Bloggins’s Goldfish Has Just Died,
the
local, parochial headline wants to read,
and
crossed
the water to the Other Side,
left
behind my almost ascetic greed
so
I suppose I am feeling a bit sad,
knowing
not why the goldfish is dead,
knowing
only that God is good,
hoping
its soul ascends Heavenward,
imagining
the newsflash on the TV,
or
online for anyone at all to see,
but
as the goldfish becomes
history
I
see it could be worse for you and me
for
if it was my brother’s <BEE>
there
would be damage in all Infinity.
FLEE
HAS SEEN A BEE
So,
Flee, you may have seen a bee
but
I don’t want you to see a rat.
It
isn’t right, if it’s according to me,
that
one should have to die like that.
The
bee would sail
across
the ocean
as
you lie back on the sunny green.
It
would be cross-pollinating the garden,
extracting
pollen for the mating queen…
once
my copy of Neil Curry’s volume
started
to smell of redolent perfume
so
I built the Tower in my bedroom.
There
were other books, a few of them
that
also exhibited signs of natural
magic
- for the smell was not a spillage in
my
Gap Year bag,
of
aftershave, but actual
magic.
I hope that when I am gone
someone
reads the Tower as I built it,
tall
and strong, lines left to right,
for
it wasn’t aftershave, I never spilled it,
and
you can take my word as true and quite.
DEAR
FLISS OR IS IT FLEE?
Dear
Fliss or is it Flee?
I
hope you are well-rested, okay, secure of direction, comfortable,
eating well. When I wrote this to you, the one we call H was walking
round, moving from the kitchen to the sitting room where mormor
awaited with
little
baby girl toys. I had just made a few touches to my Morrison mirror,
and got coal in for mormor, after a night with no sleep, only staying
up tending to my soul at a slinky screen. Mud outside was minimal, as
I made my avowal, still victimised so badly I cannot confess to it,
still wishing to be doing nothing else but write poetry. If this
missive ever gets through to you wake me up, for the dawn is strong
with James, and we feel in love despite the gypsies and the
government who loom. By now you might know me as pirate, who wanted
to get that line about the ocean in there but recognised it belonged
in a song, a song I wrote myself, after attaining the face, in about
1998, as if some kind of proof, the result of some bet, the end of
the quest, the treasure chest of dreams. So it being a song I decided
I would no longer mewl and puke to school. Even
though it seemed to land fair and square with me, the line about the
ocean in
the song when I was but
15
or 16 and a new Rimbaud, by now they had me down as Sid Vicious, who
was making something that was ours, though not quite sure if “our-ing
it along” was allowed in the proper vernacular. Voices are not
sweeties. Mormor went for a pee. Suicide is a shelf. I am so sick
with fear I may have a morning beer, even though it’s only 9 AM. I
could pretend it is gravy. Mormor comes in the kitchen, says it might
be too windy to do a barbecue today though she
has it all ready apart from the coal. The carrots and potatoes are
ready. You’re
in the room now, on the way out into the field, a beautiful little
girl, whom I call “madame,” whom it seems is getting ready to go
out into the field, while Seb is running up the fell, and it’s only
9. 30, still breakfast time, time for eggs, eggs not likely to cause
an adverse reaction, but not before you go out into the front garden
for some action, and not before H puts a hat on, and I try to see the
light on a fair, springful day. It’s just a shame I need to read up
on Trump every morning, for it disturbs me, as I try to see the
light, imagining sunlight blowing my hair about, and now you’ve got
your hat on and your wellies and are totally ready and can go out.
Love,
John
(who
might soon be snow or under the sleet)
A
CANOROUS CHIME
Someone
gets in the power shower.
It
reminds me I don’t need power.
Flower
power is much better.
Writing
Flora a long love
letter.
You
could even call her “flower.”
Down
at the bottom of the Tower
I
looked up and saw her hair,
it
was dangling down everywhere.
I
climbed up it into her chamber.
She
was locked in by a protector.
He
was a tyrant, I was better,
I
was the one she wanted as lover.
I
took out my sword to free her,
defeated
the tyrant, had a breather,
took
her by the tiny hand and led her
down
the stair, her knight in shining armour.
In
the garden we heard some laughter.
It
might’ve been the film director
saying
this could go on forever,
flowing
like an endless river,
but
what was
needed
more than water
was
to cut her hair a bit shorter,
so
that we did, while a motor
drove
past on an unknown hour.
SIBLINGS
Brothers
are nice and sisters too,
always
there’ll be something to do,
but
they can elongate the queue
to
use in the morning the upstairs loo.
There
are also sibling rivalries,
to
please the parents, and to please
the
beauty queen who brings the bees
down
onto their humble knees.
John
Cleese says it like a brother -
no-one
is any more clever than another -
that
goes between your father and mother -
and
your brother and sister and any other.
It’s
boring not having a family,
and
I do have my brother living with me,
but
sometimes think in a different key
about
what’s likely to never be
and
yet with mother’s new grand children,
at
least she’ll get some satisfaction,
and
we are a tribe bonded in emotion
even
if scattered across the ocean.
I
hear Bob’s kids love it when he plays
on
the piano for them in multiple ways
that
mean the brightening up of days,
like
a way to cure a transient malaise.
Siblings
often squabble and fight
but
judging by mine own, it’s right
that
I would die for each of them tonight,
and
leave them playing in the light.
AN ATTEMPT AT CHILDREN’S LITERATURE
One day, John, James, Robert and Flo’ were lying on the grass. They were watching clouds pass by in the sky and pretending they were animals from the zoo, all sorts of creatures in the clouds.
“Wouldn’t it be nice,” said John, “to be able to cling on to the vapour trail of that aeroplane all the way up there?”
“They might look down,” said James, “and see the patchwork quilt below.”
John was the eldest at 12, and James the next at 10, and Robert the next at 9, and Flo’ which was short for Florence was the youngest at 7.
They were born in a season each. John was Spring, James Autumn, Robert was winter, then Flo’ came along in summer. It was summer by now and the weather had been quite warm. The day was a sunny day, good for a game of football in the field near their house.
They lived at the foot of a fell, which is a northern word for hill. It was a big, ancient mound of land.
Their dad was away on business; he was an art dealer that was nicknamed “Blue.” He had to go to Europe where his company was based. Their mum was in the house doing something in the kitchen, possibly cleaning or baking.
There was a bee crossing the lawn where they lay, and it looked for a second like it could’ve gone on forever.
John suddenly said “shall we go ask mum if we can go on an adventure up the fell?”
James said “the day is a good one for an adventure.”
Robert always followed close behind, and said “I’m up for it;” and Flo’ was old enough now to get up the fell on her own; so they went in and asked if they could go on an adventure.
“First pack a picnic,” said mum. She got some biscuits and crisps and sausage rolls and ham sandwiches and a bottle of lemonade ready for them in a rucksack. John was the only one who had a Smartphone because he was old enough to. That way they could ring mum if they got in trouble.
“Are you going to take Ossie?” asked mum.
Ossie was the dog. He liked to run away a lot. If the back door was ever left open he would escape and go sniffing bitches at the local farm. It was embarrassing, whenever it dawned on someone that Ossie had run away, because it meant he was causing trouble at the local farm. It meant they would have to walk up to the farm and get him on a lead and bring him back.
Seeing all the animals at the farm could be frightening for a young child, especially the dogs they kept themselves. Cows were curious creatures and would crowd round with interest when you walked through a field of them, and their being so big it was almost scary, but you could shoo them away very easily, because they were not aggressive by nature.
The family let their fields out to a farmer who kept both cows and sheep on their land, a different farmer from the one where the dog ran off to.
“Yes,” said John. “We’ll take Ossie.”
So they put Ossie the dog on a lead and left the house.
They did not want to go the usual route, through two fields, up the lane, taking a right at the gate, across to the bank of the beck where often they sat and had their packed lunch, because they wanted to explore new territory so they took a left at the gate instead of taking a right. They had honestly never been this way before in all their lives. They walked on a well-beaten path trodden by sheep for a little while then James said to take a turn off the path and into the large fronds of bracken.
It was actually quite difficult to walk through the bracken, so long it was. John held the dog on a short lead. The dog was panting. After twenty minutes they stopped and contemplated going back, but decided against it.
So they walked through bracken that was taller than the tallest of them.
“Watch out for adders,” said John, as they walked, even though he nor any of them had ever seen an adder on the fell. John was the one with the biggest imagination. He liked on Sundays to draw cheques addressed to himself for millions, pen-knives with amazing and ludicrous tools, and maps of strange, far away places. He was into football, as they all were apart from Flo’ who mostly just wanted someone to play dolls with. Still, she had her brothers to follow about.
It was the summer holidays, so they weren’t at school and they were free from doing any schoolwork. If they had been able to see over the bracken they would’ve been able to see the Irish Sea some one mile or so away from the fell. The sea breeze blew up towards them from the West and was cooling them down, a welcome relief in all the summer heat.
They walked, grappling with bracken, slowly. Pushing on they found the bracken opened up to a beautiful spot with a new beck they had never seen before and a clearing beside a small waterfall. The waterfall came off the rock and into a small pool. Flo’ was the first to get her socks and shoes off and paddle in the pool while the boys were busy drinking cupped handfuls of water.
Then the boys took their socks and shoes off too and dangled their feet in the water from the bank. The water was cold but they waded out into it to cool down on such a hot day.
Ossie was allowed off his lead and to swim in the shallow pool. He could be a daft dog sometimes, who was not afraid of water but still afraid of going over a bridge.
As Robert approached the waterfall at the back of the pool, he noted there was a cave behind the waterfall. “Look, there’s a cave!” he said, and everyone else noted and agreed.
“We should check it out,” said John always playing the leader because he was the eldest.
You had to walk under the waterfall and get yourself a little bit wet to get through the water into the cave but it was a hot day so it didn’t matter. They left the picnic on the bank. Into the cave they all went and the dog shook and sent water spraying off him everywhere and their eyes adjusted to the half light and they looked about and guess what they found?
There was a fruit machine, quite rusted and old, parked just inside the entrance of the cave. It looked like it was physically embedded in the fell.
“Imagine if it worked!” said James. James was left handed and very skilful with his hands. He put his hands in his pockets now and found no money. It didn’t matter though because as John said
“there’s no where to plug it in, so we can’t test if it works or not.”
He himself had money, only a few coins, including a few pound coins, in his short pockets. He wore Bermuda shorts as did they all apart from Flo’ who wore a blue and white dress.
They could still hear the waterfall crashing down behind them. Their mum used to say “the sound of running water is very good for the soul,” and it was true, it was.
James now started to press buttons on the fruit machine. Nobody even knew how a fruit machine worked, what to do with one.
“What could that possibly be doing here?” asked little Flo’.
The mystery was a strange one.
“Maybe someone used to live here, a pauper,” said Robert.
James was still fiddling with buttons, trying to get the fruit machine to revolve to three yellow lemons meaning he had hit the jackpot.
They were still just inside the cave enough for there to be daylight leaking in from the outside world, but now John had got the torch on his Smartphone going, and was exploring the back of the cave. Guess what he found?
“There’s
a portal at the back of this cave,” said John. It was like a trap
door that was closed. James was still messing with the buttons on the
fruit machine, and just like that it was as if he had hit the
jackpot, for some combination of buttons he pressed suddenly lit
up and the fruit machine made a musical
sound
and it turned
on a light above the trap door and the trap door slowly opened at
the back of the cave.
There was a tunnel inside!
John
shone his Smartphone torch into the tunnel and they could see at
least a few feet in front of them.
“Should
we go in?” asked Robert.
They
did not know what to do, or what they would find down the tunnel.
“I
dare you to go in there,” said James to John, and
he did, which is why when he’s gone we will all look back on what
is done as a Giant Day.
MUM’S
MEASURING STICK
My
mother
took me out
on
a mother-son bonding trip
-
oh, only down the garden,
to
the
veg
patch, where I,
as
if
gallantly,
dug her a trench,
and
after she planted
her
potatoes, raked it over
again
too. Here she comes now
into
the kitchen, saying
“this
dry weather is good
for
the door,” because
the
door
used
to swell,
because it is wooden,
and
offer much
resistance
to
being
closed.
I
am out of
breath
from working. I
left
the
veg patch first, carrying
two
paper packets in for the sitting
room
fire. I
was in hospital
yesterday
or the day before
after
another O. D. and
don’t
feel up to much work.
Still,
when
mother
says
the
dry weather is good for
the
back door, she might mean
working
with soil is good for the soul.
And
she is mostly right.
She
has a lot of magic sayings
hidden
in the treetops, does mum.
You
can drown in a puddle.
Language
is a creature.
Imagination
is a muscle.
In
politics there are no wrongs
or
rights. Just because someone
is
good to you doesn’t mean
they
are right for you. Actions
have
consequences. The brain
only
heals when it’s asleep
and
even nightmares are
healing.
Giving
makes
you
feel good. Poetry
is not
the
entrance and exit of life.
Of
course she was the one
who
made the flower-press ending
on
cannabis that
might = a dialysis,
and
I was the one that made
the
love poem for Flora
that
might = a motor, and who
spotted
the system, beginning
with
‘if.’
That
system, I would
think
of as my Equilibrium,
but
it is on second thoughts mum’s
Equilibrium.
I don’t like cooking
vegetables
in the kitchen, or digging
in
the vegetable patch after
all.
So
it is that when I sit here ( )
in
the kitchen, because
it has
a
good
table, a good chair,
and
internet
access, writing,
and
mum
comes in to cook, it augments
any
work on Flora’s pretext
if
I just write down what she
says,
about preparing food.
Now
I’ve made mum
a coffee
for
her flask, from the instant
espresso
machine, her second
of
the day, and she has gone
back
out there, to the vegetable
patch,
leaving me indoors.
And
the bluebells are out
and
some have more bells
than
others, but all of them are nice.
And
mother comes back in
with
some layers of clothes removed.
And
the dishwasher is still going
round
and round like dreams
in
the recycling bin. And
mother
goes
back out again, back
to
the veg patch because
her
work is not yet done. And
the
dishwasher has stopped revolving.
And
the
fridge’s drone is heard.
And
in the fridge I have a sausage roll.
And
the sausage roll comes
from
the local butcher and is made
with
real, Cumberland sausage.
And
out
there, the
fresh, spring air
sings
that love is not dead.
CHERCHEZ
LA FEMME
My
eldest says I have a way with words.
“Magic
sayings hidden in the treetops.”
He
collects them as if they are painkillers.
English
is only my third language, though.
I
told
him recently
“you
don’t need a University
degree
to know a thing or two about
life…”
I
once
made
a flower-press for my husband, ending
on
a homegrown cannabis leaf.
My
eldest
decided
when he’d read it
that
if a flower-press ending
on
cannabis = a dialysis,
a
love poem only hoping
to
impress poor Flora = a motor.
He
thought of it as his own “equilibrium,”
but
has come round to recognising
it
is mum’s
equilibrium. He doesn’t after all
enjoy
working in the veg patch
or
chopping vegetables in the kitchen.
Once
I made him put asparagus
in
a pint glass with water at the bottom
like
it were flowers we were dealing with!
Anyhow,
I come from Finland;
and
the trees are taller in Finland.
Finland
is famous for three s’s:
sauna,
Sibelius and sisu…
the
Fins think the Midnight sun
might
be a musical orgasm.
Growing
up I liked David Bowie.
We
all followed the English music scene.
I
married an Englishman I met on a train…
he
was on business, I was travelling.
My
husband was an art dealer nicknamed “Blue”
and
to be honest we still don’t know what it meant,
and
now he’s gone, taken secrets to his grave,
and
I live in the large country house he left behind.
We
live at the foot of the Lakeland’s oldest fell.
My
eldest, he says I had
a happy
gift
for
treasure hunts and Easter-egg
hunts, laying
clues
all about the house and grounds.
It’s
getting towards night-fall here now
and
the Doors are on the Smart-speaker.
My
eldest thinks my husband named his sons
after
the Doors without telling me.
I
have four children, named John,
James,
Robert and Hannah, whom
it
would seem are born in a season each, spiralling
Spring,
Autumn, Winter, Summer, marching
right
left right left in the handedness
as
if military zeal will always win.
I
myself
am very left-handed,
and
think reading and writing,
which
is geared for right-handers,
is
un-natural when it
goes
left to right.
In
my early twenties,
I was learning English
because
I had children born in England
and
my eldest, he thinks it beautiful,
to
have a foreign mother who
did that.
Before
I had children, I worked
in
a Steiner home for autistic children
in
Sweden. The corners of the rooms
are
rounded and purple because
it
is less threatening than right-angled corners.
When
my children had grown up,
and
my husband was ill with Hep C,
I
braved it and got a job in the Care Industry,
to
keep this Plough alignment house afloat.
The
hours were cruel and the pay quite thin,
but
I stuck it through to retirement age.
Now
I deserve some peace and quiet,
and
some downtime with my grand kids.
As
well as having four kids, I have
four
grand-children and counting.
My
youngest, my daughter Hannah,
she
says I have a gift with children
which
brings
tears to my eyes,
to
hear my
own daughter praising me so.
I
love babies and have kept a lot of stuff
from
when my children were babies
which
others would have binned.
It’s
nice to see Robert and Hannah
have
flown the nest. John tried it many
times
but always got into a mess
and
ended up crawling back home.
Robert
and Hannah both have jobs in tech
as
well as families of their own, but
John
and James, the eldest two,
live
with me, and are writers.
I
recently went down south to see Hannah,
and
to spend time with my grand-daughter Florence.
She
was so feverish and only mummy would do
when
it came to holding her in one’s arms.
Hannah
was supposed to go out to a party -
that
was why I was there – to babysit -
but
she couldn’t go out in the end
because
baby Florence was so ill.
Anyhow,
I am a free spirit, and say
live
and let live. I have an ideal
for
poetry, but my eldest, he
misappropriated
it in one of his books…
I
think it was called Brave
New Tense.
And
he gave the game away as always.
He’s
done some good things though, my eldest.
He
helped invent the net at seven.
Some
scientists came to the house.
They
realised the net could not exist
all
the way round the world without going
through
the Plough alignment house.
When
someone needed to store the idea
of
the net in writing in the attic here
to
give it a chance to grow all round
the
world and keep it free it was my eldest,
John,
who wrote that document, at
seven.
I
was on board with that one at least,
even
if my husband concealed things
regarding
his business, and what it meant.
At
eight my eldest was the witness
from
The
Lords And the New You Know Who.
That’s
a book by Jim Morrison, I hear,
in
case you too don’t know.
At
eleven my
eldest
was marked only slightly
by
a failed experiment into the maths of the new colour.
At
fifteen he attained the face of stars
which
might’ve been scripted in the Bible,
and
proved it with the very first verse
of
his very first song at his very first gig.
At
eighteen he
forewarned
my
other sons about September 11th,
in
2000,
also
prophesied the God Particle hunt
from
looking at dust in a late ray of light, angling
in,
also prophesied the alignment.
He
wrote the highest-marked, English Literature
A-level
exam essay in the nation that year.
I
still remember how proud his headmistress
was,
because it was on her favourite book.
After
school, my eldest, John,
he
recorded
an
album on binaural earphones,
had
an effervescent mobile, reverberating
the
rhythm of ‘William Tell’ through every
technological
inlet in the room before it rang,
hosted
the Plough alignment for a rhythm change
in
the White House, got a First despite the onset
of
mental illness, spotted a hypertext
of
his name tattooed on Piper
At
The Gates of Dawn,
worked
at
a numinous, purple-bleeding screen,
built
the Tower as an instrument of philosophy,
conducted
an experiment into a tape
with
a small pause where cut and re-
sealed
in the flimsy reel, and
was
the human being to discover
the
sheet where pictures, seemingly
depicting
his own song lyric, grew.
The
sheet itself belongs to my second son,
James,
who designed it and laid it down.
If
you think my eldest is a genius
for
all that he has gone through,
then
my second son, James,
well,
he is a genius too
for
he designed the sheet
where
pictures grew
and
said that <BEE>
might
soon ensue
from
@ in the international
language
alphabet, which
was
much more what the doctor
ordered
than anything from John.
John
provided songs and
poems
and
threw most of them away.
James
is now working on an epic sci-fi novel
set
over 1000 years in outer space.
Back
when John discovered the sheet,
he
was good about it, and recognised
it
was James’s work and g-a-v-e it to him.
John
was better at school, but James
is
more creative being left-handed.
James
says to
design the sheet where pictures grew
took
a deft left hand born of another.
John
also made the Nirvana barcode to be
but
the beat of ‘Scentless Apprentice’ by
Nirvana
tapped out in approximate barcode
shape
using the tool of the qwerty keyboard,
brought
it into my bedroom on a page, boasting
that
he had invented the Nirvana barcode
only
for me to tell him there’s no such thing.
It
was, I said, a trick of grief, after his father passed.
Anyhow,
I am Susie and I am a bit
of
a driftwood artist and opportunist.
I
like to use driftwood from the beach.
My
eldest, John, picked up the information
that
there is no such thing as female genius
from
some London
friend,
like a virus, but
I
told him “without females
we
wouldn’t even have spines.”
That
shut him up for a good, long while.
I’m
actually entering second adolescence;
I
put my music up loud like I did
when
I was young and barefooted,
e’
en though it is an anti-social nuisance.
Long
into the night you can hear my music blaring…
it
passes through the walls which immure us
as
we penetrate the isness of life through it.
My
eldest will be down in the kitchen, typing,
driven
mad by all the resonance upstairs.
My
second will be even closer to the source
of
the music, in his room, despairing,
trying
to continue with his sci-fi book.
If
I had a failing it was in not teaching
my
children Swedish. Though I am a Fin,
Swedish
is my first language, my being
of
a slim percentage of Swedish-speaking
Fins.
But when I started to teach my children
my
husband would always take the Mickey.
I
gave up in the end, because my English
is
so good, and we live in England.
Swedish
is like English detuned on a dial.
It
is the only language of Indo-European
etymological
origins that qualifies as tonal.
I
used to keep a word-science diary
and
my eldest does the same thing.
His
is probably even more interesting
than
mine, but then I’d have to leave it out.
Anyhow,
I used to read them Roald Dahl.
When
Roald Dahl died I was upset
and
seeing me so upset my son,
my
eldest, John, said it’s ok mum,
I’ll
be the next Roald Dahl.
He
was only about four years old.
It
hasn’t worked out for him yet.
I
keep telling him children’s literature
is
where the money is at and the way to go,
but
he doesn’t seem to take it in.
Without
kids himself he could
write
for my grand kids as a substitute.
He
asked me for help during his degree…
I
told him I prefer the third person
to
the first and like a narrative
to
go from A to B without anachronism.
One
time he needed help with dreaming
up
a plot for a novel and I gave him
the
idea to
make it a
book about dreams…
once
he started writing it, he made it so
there
was a dream-meet experiment with a band.
A
burglar entered and it was the
burglar
that
got killed not the other way round.
So
it was an allegory for September 11th.
John
only had to write a few chapters.
It
turned out he already started a novel
about
dreams in Sixth Form, his first attempt
at
a novel, where a taut, pragmatic prose narrative
about
a stoner going around London
is
inter-wedged with the penetration
of
a surrealistic fantasy world in which
the
protagonist visits a shop beneath the sea
where
all our dreams are stored on disk.
So
we are obviously of similar mentality.
We
also have the same taste in Deli food.
Houmous,
olives, mushrooms, chillis etcetera.
We
like to dip breadsticks in the
same cream
cheese.
I
keep telling him the Nirvana barcode
is
best done differently from the way he did it.
Now
the barcode is being phased out
of
some Tesco stores around the world.
To
be fair he wrote a gorgeous little number
when
he was but 12 or 13….
“Sullen,
silken sulks,
we
drink the same rain,
spit
is clean
and
so is dirt.”
It
came into being when he was a Nirvana fan…
there
was what was advertised as a
government
set intelligence test
at
the computers after exams at Prep School,
for
the winning
of
which there was said to be a prize -
and
my son finished the game first,
called
out “done it” but was ignored,
turned
back to the screen and typed in
the
rhythm of ‘Scentless Apprentice’ by Nirvana.
That
was when the maths teacher stopped the game,
but
still no prize, no bag of Maltesers, was awarded,
because
the point was that
nobody
is
any more intelligent than anyone else.
“Sullen,
silken sulks,
we
drink the same rain,
spit
is clean
and
so is dirt.”
Those
were days I remember buying him
Nirvana
CD’s. My husband liked
‘Polly.’
Even
though I am a David Bowie fanatic
I
thought Kurt Cobain’s version of
‘The
Man Who Sold The World’
was
even better than Bowie’s version...
and
it is also my son’s best number too.
When
you find out what he went through.
That
he kept the net free as a boy.
Then
you see why his version is also good.
There
are a few other songs my son does
well.
One of them is Syd Barrett’s
‘Dark
Globe.’ He’s putting words in my mouth now,
because
I don’t know much about Barrett,
but
I know my son has mental health issues
much
as Barrett did before my son.
I
think my son with his guitar is better
than
he thinks he is but listening
to
Queen, for example, you recognise
my
son has never got past a demo.
His
mnemonic for the strings of the electric
was
Even A Dick Gets Big Erections
which
took the same amount of time
to
conjure as it takes to say…
ii
Now
it is a second day. What was I saying?
Where
was my thread and my head?
I
was talking about my eldest.
He
says I am very considerate.
I
pay him a lot of consideration
and
amazingly to him do the same for all my children.
I
don’t wish to expand at leisure though
on
everything they do and think as well.
I
think that this is my time, my chance.
If
it makes any difference to you
the
wind makes me angry.
If
it makes any difference to you
no,
I am not a hygiene Nazi.
I
am a free spirit, an ageing hippy,
with
organic values, who only makes
home-made
food, no shop bought Bisto,
and
my children love me for it too.
I
used
to think
Finnish is a more poetic language
than
English in
its use of sound,
the
way our national epic poem The
Kalevala
is
written in pure alliteration. But
my
son’s word-science reveals
much
that is poetic about English
and
I came round to changing my mind.
The
day has gone already, and
I
was waiting for a man to take care
of
the honeybee hive we found in the garden
but
the man in question did not come.
I
like to spend time in my garden,
used
to write the gardening column
for
the local magazine Round
The Combe,
with
the help of my son for grammar.
Already
dusk’s enchanted kingdom
floats
in the sky to
the left of
the fell.
Already
a sense of plasma screen peace
descends
from above. It is summer
and
the sentient air has gone FM.
It
might be time to put some music on.
My
sons will be sad to see me gone.
I
don’t like gravy, prefer Mayonnaise.
Gaze
upon me, find my eyes
are
feline like a cat’s, and grey blue.
I
see
the world as beautiful too.
I
try to always see what is good not what is bad.
The
plan I had with my children’s dad
was
to buy a camper van and tour the world
but
I got stuck and my husband died…
crossed
the water to the other side.
We
were going to do the hippy trail;
but
it never happened, dreams can fail;
and
yet I might go travelling still,
leave
my sons at the foot of the fell.
I
might meet someone, take a lover,
though
promised my kids I will never
marry
again, that once is enough.
Under
the Plough my life has been tough.
I
could paint a very black picture of
my
life if I wanted to, but
there’s not enough love
in
the world so I desist from that,
make
you at home in this habitat,
where
there’s always a place for you
to
sleep even though I am blue,
and
lie back knitting to the songs on Spotify…
Now
it is Night again, by the way;
it
won’t stop my eldest drinking tea.
I
gave up tea when Hannah was born.
I
still like my coffee strong in the morning.
**
My
eldest son, John, he
is
getting
in
a pickle about Anon. They
whomsoever
they may be, meaning
voices
he hears in mental illness,
want
him to be Anon but he
has
no wish to do an Anon one,
so
his therapist from CBT
has
advised him to write and publish
a
low-key book that no-one
will
want to be Anonymous.
I
lie back knitting to the sound of David Bowie
or
else playing a game on my tablet.
John’s
got the things he did with his life
which
I mentioned a little of before,
and
I would tend to believe he shouldn’t be Anon
with
a CV like that because it’s like the philosopher
John
Stuart Mill said: a progressive country
can
quickly become backwards
if
there is a decrease in Individuality.
Besides
it’s against the law to make someone
Anon
against their own wishes.
He
stays up late typing while my music
blares
around the house, past midnight
and
into the wee hours, all three of us awake.
If
he amends and re-publishes his seven year old text, knowing
this
time it was about helping invent the net, getting
it
all right they might make him go Anon with it.
As
for his songs, the people
with
whom he was in a band
don’t
wish to be Anon either,
and
neither does he.
He
always comes to me
asking
advice about poetry.
I
won awards for my own poetry
at
school in Finland but can’t say
I
have read that much in English yet.
Still,
I am a poetic soul,
whose
eloquence lives on in my children,
e’
en if in John it is gone under
Gondwanaland.
He
has bought me a copy of The
Lords And
The
New You Know Who
by Jim Morrison, breaking
me
in slowly to that which I never knew.
He
has been in my room, where I’m lonely
to
ask for the music to be turned down
because
it is getting past 2.
It
could be that he wants to sleep.
This
is not the end, my only friend.
This
is just the start of my art.
The
pulleys can’t even recall the plot of Riddley
Walker.
As
for what all this is about...
Yesterday,
James got back from Millom
with
the take-away and I was having
microwaved
curry and he said to John:
“why
don’t you do mum’s for her?”
So
before John
had opened his burger
and
chips he sorted me out with microwaved
curry,
chips, rice and naan which
I
couldn’t finish, in terms of the carbs.
This
evening
James the chef made us
pasta
in a prawn and cheese sauce
which
I added Sweet Chilli Sauce to,
also
having green spinach on the side.
I
like my spinach with butter.
If
you ask the guys of my best dishes,
they
might range from a
warm
salad,
to
roast chicken, to a Finnish starter
called
gravadlax, to what I do with the barbecue, including
a
potato salad my guests always love,
to
pasta with chorizo and chicken sauce.
I
also do a mean chicken curry,
amazing
Swedish meatballs with mash,
and
I think the best home-made soup.
I
am inventive in the kitchen, never sticking
to
petty
rules,
always trying
new
things like when Jamie Oliver
puts
orange juice on roast carrots.
iii
And
on the third day, I sort out my son’s medication
into
one of those dosette boxes
that
look like multiplication tables.
Country
and Western plays upstairs.
A
lone motorbike passes on the road.
I
find a whole, unopened box
of
Co-codamol
which
is good
because
I have a bad back.
Everything
strains towards the post-apocalyptic
ending
of The
Lords And The
New
You Know Who.
But
there’s nothing planned,
no-one
to meet us there beyond the end.
Cars
pass by on the A595.
Nothing
happens worth reporting.
The
kettle boils.
To
a present tense sharpened by flame
our
attention returns.
It
could be said that John
went
beyond water’s boiling point.
The
details of his life are interesting.
I
would say he was a beautiful mind
and
that they’ve given Nobel Prizes for less.
But
when it came to helping invent
the
net there were others that did more.
When
it comes to being the witness,
you’re
even less likely to win the Nobel
upon
becoming witness than you were before.
You
can’t win the Nobel for trying
the
maths of the new colour as a cellular mark either.
As
for the face of stars, if someone
started
to dole out payments
they
themselves would be tyrants.
We
don’t need to go through
the
rest of the story, but I think
he
did well with the things he did,
never
earning a penny, never turning
the
situation to his own advantage.
Upon
trying to realise his creativity,
and
do good things, he fell ill,
as
if he was up against a democratising,
balancing
out mechanism that stopped him winning.
As
James says, the Nobel
is
not an accurate metric anyway.
Now
it is a dullshine day.
Grey
tattered clouds conceal the dome.
The
garden has gone on to produce
many
variations on the theme of green.
The
yew tree guards the front gate,
a
traditional Christian symbol.
Cars
pass in a whoosh of noise.
Music
blares from the Smart-speaker again.
I
lie back playing a game on my tablet, neglecting
to
read Jim Morrison’s book newly bought for me.
I
am so much loved, that I will be sorely missed…
when
I am gone, suddenly having to pay bills
is
going to be the least of their concerns.
I’m
not thinking of going anywhere yet.
It’s
almost a tea-total house now b/t/w/.
When
my husband died I turned to drink
but
have stopped it now and recovered.
The
sense of humour is returning.
I
can make a right mess in the kitchen
if
you really want to know, leave it
for
someone else, usually John,
to
come and clean up after me.
I
enter the kitchen, hungry, clean up
after
James and John, put some croissants
in
the oven, complain about my recently-broken-
and-supposed-to-be-mending
hand,
look
for marmalade in the cupboard,
take
out a plate, take some cheese
out
of the fridge, for I intend to have
cheese
and marmalade with a croissant,
eat
some cherry tomatoes from the packet,
exclaim
that they’re almost as good
as
the ones we grow in the greenhouse,
take
my croissants out of the oven,
(for
they don’t take long in a Smart-
oven,
for it warms up so quickly),
remark
to the one remaking my mark
that
I have half a thing for lemon marmalade.
I
leave the kitchen with my croissant
and
my eldest (who calls me ‘Ma’
and
might do a creative writing M. A.)
then
starts to copy my actions, putting
a
croissant in the Smart oven, having
it
with cheese and marmalade.
I
suppose that like mine his was delicious too.
Now
it is later… time does not pass but evaporate.
I
like to recycle.
I
like to be green.
I
don’t take acid
but
I am the queen.
Now
it’s not just John’s but mine I’d say it’s a very spicy curry
and I might’ve put a bit too much chilli in it.
SIR
GALAHAD ANDCETERA
The
Night is sad, the air is black,
nothing’s
going to bring the
good times back.
Still,
I
beseech thee O One -
what
comportment would you deem fit?
The
Night is black, the air a banner.
You
can’t confute my love for Hannah.
But
she is my sister, O One,
and
it is thee whose affection is
my remit…
When
I die I am supposed to leave behind
something
like the sheet where pictures grew
for
my brother like my dad did for me.
The
equation for the ratio between sunlight falling and Gravity pulling
down on the sheet where pictures grew still eludes me but if it is c
over G we are dealing with, I’d say it equates to
backward
f,
forward
f,
equals
running
through…
L
to the pregnant snorkel.
O
is the key of the babbling unicorn.
The
symbol [R] might still represent the stance, the large R, Romantic
stance that Creativity in the synapse gulf is possible, that the
creative spark is not all mappable/ predictable in advance.
If
mother’s flower-press ending on cannabis
could
be said to = a dialysis,
a
love poem only hoping to impress
poor
Flora still = a motor.
Rah
the sun-god sleeps upstairs.
It
might be a good telepathy-game that, but I don’t know whether I am
doing this for Flora or for Rachel. For all, Flora was the nicest
woman to gawp at, at school, and Rachel, still beautiful herself, the
nicest to talk to.
And
the redolent fume of the mating queen
from
the green pages in the flesh
leads
to a moonlit chamber…
If
Flora was my brother’s ideal,
Rachel
was mine, so it must be
for
Flora that we are doing this.
I
am but Sir Galahad anyway, still bleeding after my tron. My
brother knows what’s gone on. He left two sheets in the barn. One
of them, if I remember, contained a sunflower made of Badly Drawn Boy
lyrics, slightly imperfectly quoted on purpose:
sunshine
inside of you
old
sun warm sun
spreads
over you
soleil
all over you
It’s
a nice song. We notice the sunshine is inside. That it is what is
inside that counts. The next sheet contained what I call the new da
Vinci circle:
@
<BEE> [long
squiggle]
Infinity
symbol
If
I could quote my sister Hannah I would say the new da Vinci circle is
a discrete system containing the international language alphabet in 4
Points of Difference. For it suggests <BEE> might soon ensue
from @ in the international language alphabet.
There
were burning candles on top of the box we used as a table, drawn on
the underside of one
of the
pages,
which was placed face
down on the box with burning candles we use as a table.
I
went down to the barn. I read the documents where they were left. On
the Badly Drawn Boy one I was inveigled by
the sunflower pattern.
And yet on the <BEE> one I could not see James’s discrete
system… I could see only a tabular arrangement of signs in boxes
containing the whole international language alphabet. One of the
characters was
[backward
f,
forward
f,
equals
running
through.]
So
I left the document alone, thinking James had designed a whole
alphabet in a tabular arrangement of signs in boxes. But when I
returned to reread it – not in jealousy but admiration – the
tabular arrangement was gone and the <BEE> document remained as
initially designed. I left it alone again, and then, one day, when
our father passed I went down to the barn again and found the first
sheet, the Badly Drawn Boy one, had bloomed or grown pictures.
The
pictures seem to depict the lyric to a song I wrote, called
‘The Ghosts Lament,’ going:
I’m
the only one left,
left
to shoot my own gun.
This
is the dead land.
Crack
a smile and curse the sun.
Still,
back at the age of 15 or 16, when the song was written (in the Lakes)
and performed (in London), the sheet was not my game. My game back
then was the face of stars. I had attained it, yes, that is the word,
with two friends up visiting from London town. I hear of late that I
proved the face of stars with the first verse of the first song of
the first gig, at 15 or 16, in Kentish Town and was beautiful when I
sang. That
was a different song, one called ‘Shallow Oceans.’ I
could
posit
the set-list… the band were called Oedipus Wrecks… but
instead I would prefer to just show you that
first verse in
question…
Oceans smile with liquid eyes
and fill themselves with rain.
The tide goes out and leaves me
lost, the last thing a glass gene.
Here
I would like to augment the shrunk-down teenage set list with
something Oedipal at the end, something about her, Flora, whom it
would seem I hugged in a boarding school corridor, failing to kiss
her, falling for her enough to write a poem, in
the style of Jim Morrison, but
by now it is my brother James that knew her kiss.
It
was for Flora that James contrasted the flower and the <BEE>.
I
can’t seem to really think
every
time I think of her anymore,
which
might be because
my
brother and I are close.
To
be delivered from writing for
Flora is actually a relief.
We
still don’t know how whomsoever it was knew the lyric to
‘The Ghosts Lament’ or
made the burns. But
we take it that whomsoever knew the lyric and did the burns did it to
unify us, so that we are all one.
You
might need to hear the song to know the rest of the lyric that
was used for the sheet,
which you can on Bandcamp now. Or you can read the Oedipus Wrecks
set-list in a volume called Yes
You May.
I
showed you the lyric to
‘The Ghosts Lament’ as
far as the line “crack a smile and curse the sun.” Then, the
first line of the chorus is “death awaits to fuck me.” Dr.
Calculator Ptom loved it when it got to the chorus. There
was something nuclear going on. “Give me bliss and give me kisses,”
it continued. “Death awaits to save me,” it went. “The ghosts
lament, the ghosts lament.”
Come
on baby,
you
know it’s easy,
don’t
say maybe,
let’s
go crazy.
The
chorus was a step too far for the pictures. They never got as far as
depicting the line “death awaits to fuck me,” but then again did
coincide with my father’s passing.
There
was something vivid, gorgeous and erotic to the depiction of the
death of the sun, almost like it was seen from within the sun itself.
It was almost like a musical orgasm was going on. But at the same
time it was brutalist.
As
for the one that proved the face. I think at the time it was
necessary that I started everything off in that manner, but that the
line about the ocean still belongs to the house – so there is an
argument I should have to be Anon with that particular line.
The
counter argument is that if you take that line away, it would mean I
regretted meeting the face of stars. It would make the attainment of
that vision a regrettable event.
I
know that the rest of my band, whichever band that means, don’t
wish to be Anon and nor do I.
Even
though it is myself, I would say let the young visionary keep the
line, especially considering he was making an effort to read Rimbaud
at the time he wrote it, whom it seems says “the poet makes himself
a visionary through a prodigious derangement of the senses to attain
the unknown.”
The
line about the ocean could even be seen as a translation, into poetry
too.
The
argument for it being an Anon line is that the kids will want to
climb the ladder. In which case I would
prefer to leave it out altogether. It felt like the real me, as easy
as leaves to a tree, when I wrote it.
Leaving
it out would
mean
I need
to redo the song from when I was 15, so that I can still be bonded
with my mates and make it through school. I am 44 if you can believe
it, and we still haven’t made it through school. This time it would
be beneficial to know I helped invent the net at 7 – but we still
don’t know
much
about that for certain because it was done with hidden parts of
government.
THE
MYSTIC VISIONARY
(For
Robert)
The
bond between a mother and her son
should
be one of unconditional love,
not
limited by language barriers,
different
appellations for the light.
Under
the moon, I love my mother
as
I loved my father too, whom
it
would seem would deem it jolly good,
the
food we ate in Italy recently.
Orange
is the sun when it sets there too and
then
in the clouds Heaven’s bars
sell
upturned jars of sunset, making
you
claim that even plastic can grow.
The
colour of a red toy car with my
fingerprints
on it could then seem to be “detuned”
like
a guitar string, and counting numbers
seem
steps down into the earth...
I
love the bones my mother grew
inside
her warm womb long ago now,
before
the trauma of birth separated us,
and
I
face
the music, dreaming big.
Wow!
I can’t believe the things I’ve
touched
with my own fingers but
my
fingers
have crashed, I type, and my
mad,
crashed fingers have connected.
WOMAN
IN WHITE
Agonising
woman, dancing in white,
your
short dress hugs your figure tight.
It’s
only a photo, only a still,
but
still how
you
are dressed to kill.
I’ve
never seen love from this angle before,
totally
useless, but
the thing
we adore.
I
see you among the adverts there
online,
tossing your blonde hair
in
a leonine way, and want to know
who
you are and in what show.
Of
course if I click on you I fall
for
the adverts and so instead I stall
at
you, the bait, to suck us all in,
with
a promise of wanton-ness and sin.
I
don’t wish to be re-directed
feeling
as badly as if I am rejected,
I
wish to know more of your eloquent shapes,
for
in my mind your beauty shapes apes.
You
dance in a sensuous graffiti of
blind
white light, proving only love,
but
all we can see is a second caught
on
camera whose lens can distort.
PART
THREE:
THE
MYTHICAL MICKEY BLISS
THE
GAME OF MONOPOLY
The
game of Monopoly has hidden places.
Snakes
and ladders isn’t for telepathy.
Dice
changes hands to signify power.
The
business of democracy is not
as
Marx said.
That’s
why Crime
And Punishment
is my favourite book.
It’s
a spiritual or germ X-ray that reveals
the
germs of dictatorship on every hand.
My
father was sponsored by some philosophers
to
provide the real, human witness.
When
I was seven and liked the movie
All
Dogs Go To Heaven
very much,
I
stored the idea of the internet
in writing
in
the attic to give it a chance to grow
all
the way round the world and
keep it free.
I
am away for the next two weeks on holiday
so
please send your e-mails elsewhere.
You
needn’t be very big to be a good batsman
at
cricket, just look at Sachin Tendulkar.
I
should’ve left the
plate
to soak in water but didn’t.
Then
the tear up the front of mine bike -
maths
left over from the rules of Monopoly.
That’s
the one hidden parts can’t allow.
The
cellular stripe is a line of mathematical code.
Moving
swiftly on, Rimbaud attained the face.
In
2000 I also
spoke
against September 11th,
wrote
the highest-marked English Literature
A-level
exam essay in the nation, predicted
the
hunt for the God Particle from looking
at
dust in a late ray of light angling
in,
and founded a religion based on the elephant.
Then
we have
recording on binaural earphones,
(O
plug my senses in the mains!), the
effervescent
mobile reverberating
the
rhythm of ‘William Tell’ through every
technological
inlet in the room before
it
rang from
home,
hosting the white eyebrow
for
a rhythm change in the sea, the tattoo,
hypertext
or sensory overlay of a name
on
Piper,
the numinous,
purple-bleeding
screen,
the
Tower as an instrument of philosophy,
the
tape I cooked in the AGA when
its
small pause where cut and resealed
in
the flimsy
reel
finally healed and was gone,
and
then I was the man to discover my brother’s
sheet
where pictures (seemingly depicting
my
own song lyric) grew. All
told it’s like
the
esemplastic fled away with the quadlibetical.
ERASING THE DEBT
My father told us he was a fine art dealer,
smuggled fine art o’ er the Berlin Wall,
sold his business when the Berlin Wall fell,
was codenamed “Blue” and donned a faux
Australian accent for the job; but I found out
it was pollen that he really smuggled, that
art was recourse to euphemism for pollen,
that he had a pollen farm up in the Moroccan mountains
and shipped tonnes and tonnes of it to the States,
a kind of stuff that crumbles under
the thumb, replete with mascara bruise,
peacock feather, butterfly-wing and velvet flare;
that that was how our schooling was funded;
for all the schooling of his children was
“the only thing worth spending money on”
or so he said; and so a minor footnote in history
became a front we learned to see through.
THE
STERILISED HOTEL
My
first stay in the acute ward, I ran
away,
across a busy motorway,
up
a serpentine trainline to the station,
and
got on a train that took me to Scotland…
I
thought there’d be a different jurisdiction.
The
cops were swift on my slow
back.
They
found me wandering that other nation,
brought
me back to the border in a van.
I
was ticked off at the door, made
to
surrender possessions, but it went
down
as a sign of my sanity returning.
My
father thought it a funny story at least,
but
it was actually rather sad because now
I’d
be forever in and out of hospital,
the
sterilised Hotel with locks on the doors.
At
least I’ve got a degree since then.
SHE
GOT THERE IN THE END
The
tail end of the node about a mother’s
bond
with her son is at least unfalsifiable…
it
was 6. 58 and 37 seconds so we all
ran
as fast as we could towards the sofa.
We
found a boxing glove protruding
from
the telly on a mechanical, metal arm.
We
sat there knowing it was not
the
living room but the dying room.
We
didn’t really though, just needed
a
parrot sent to space through the conch…
so
we arrive at the next rung on the ladder.
Proving
Calliope’s face with the first verse
of
the first song of your first gig
is
something that made me famous in London,
at
sixteen, and
it was good that I did,
and
we all needed me to do it, but
the
line belongs to the house. So
you
could make me go Anon after all these
years
but that would mean attaining
the
face would become a regrettable event.
That
Captain Marvel is the other side
of
the coin to I. T. is a more original idea.
That
Lucy in the soul w/ demons
might
be an actual substance is another.
She
got there in the end, by plane
to
Finland. Now her luggage is going
round
and round the carousel. She texts
us
updates. We
need more time.
THE
INADEQUATE TRANSPOSITION
The house-pipes glugging a guilty gulp
from a big, culpable jug of the “ug” of “drug”
or
“smuggle”
or Ugly
Truth
Revealed
Inside;
the
loose, Betfair jingle of shingle lifted
from
the big, flat bird-table when
cars
arrive in the drive or if they leave;
the
singing of the upstairs Tap too;
and
the scowl or frown of the downstairs
toilet
flushing and its cistern refilling:
I
imagine these
as parts
of a popular
a song.
I
imagine them transposing a specific hit.
More
than a blank page,
you can get this.
HIGH
BROW FARM
REVISITED
There’s
nothing like going round
to
High Brow Farm to drink tea
in
the fairy-haunted garden.
But
to aim low is more the goal
these
days. Art is tending
to
the Low not High end.
Some
people even
contend
my
song lyrics are meant
for
wiping up semen.
At
High Brow Farm we
record
them, our songs,
or
some of them, without rehearsal.
Richly
synaesthetic paintings
of
the portraits of rock and jazz
musicians
overlook from the walls…
they
are painted from photos
with
the music on and
in
mind to paint the very
feel
of the music itself.
Thus,
they mix the postmodern
readymade
with the emotion
of
Romanticism. My friend
who
lives there used to be
a
labourer for a building
firm
and did some work
on
our own house when
I
was but a little boy.
The
steps leading up
through
his garden to the table
round
the back are his own work.
And
how could I forget
those
horses that
listen
to the radio!
I
bet they’re difficult to paint!
THROUGH
THE FRAME OF MUSIC
When
perceived
through the frame of music,
the
horizon is
a drone,
the
apple blossom a dulcimer.
If
the apple blossom made a sound
it
would be tintinnabulation.
Already
the beck’s tumbling
down
a mini waterfall
resembles
a kettle drum’s metal
petals
of silver bliss…
already
the trumpet wears
his
foreskin on the inside.
Already
there
is an upturned canoe for a drum.
Already
there
is a dog for a frontman
and
there are poppadom hi-hats
allowed
in
the raggedy
band.
At
least when I look through them,
they
look really good.
MOTHER’S
WHISPER
Mother’s
whisper in the cinema spreads
to
the whole auditorium. We go
at
Christmas traditionally to see
the
new James Bond or Star Wars -
and
she whispers throughout, until
her
grown
up kids
tell her to be quiet.
“Shut
up, mum,” they might say,
while
mother whispers to herself.
MICK
One late, lager-soaked afternoon at the pub,
Mick, named after the Mythical Mickey Bliss,
1930’s rhyming slang for piss, woke up sober.
He was in his car, inside the pub, with a
violent, heart-shaped hole in the wall
behind him having fallen asleep at the wheel –
so he got out of the car and went to the bar.
“A pint of Guinness and some salt n vinegar crisps, please,”
he ordered, and got talking to the barman too, who,
knowing it was all covered by insurance,
seemed surprisingly forgiving. In fact
you could say there was an upbeat feeling
of camaraderie despite the near-life experience.
Mick
was allowed a tab. Punk was on the
jukebox.
Love
was proven in
a
concrete hive.
I
DIDN’T KNOW
I
didn’t know I lived in the house
where
the Plough alignment was visible and
viable
I
didn’t know I was marked by a
failed
experiment
into the
maths of the new colour
I
didn’t know I had helped invent the net
as
a seven year old, was kept in the dark
I
didn’t know there was such a vision as
The
Future State that people bought into
I
didn’t know why the riot broke out
and
still remain uncertain about it now
I
didn’t know what my dad’s job was
but
there were options and I was on the case
I
didn’t know I was raped when the Towers still fell
despite
my having spoken against it in 2000
I
didn’t know what the bird in the wood
was
called until very late into the game
I
didn’t know my name was used in the equation
that
helped
invent
the net when I was seven
I
didn’t know because they keep it all hid
from
the kid that did too little to be Nash
END
OF SUMMER BLUES
The
pollen count was knocked unconscious
by
the rain’s many hands this afternoon.
I
- who am but a flower-head flitting capriciously
in
the Allen Ginsberg breeze sometimes
-
heard
it from the
spacious hall
downstairs.
I
thought of a
bass-drum stuffed with a pillow.
The
Western medication had slowed me down.
I
yearned for something to do here in the sticks.
For
katabasis,
humour and gravity it’s good
to
have a dog but we don’t at the moment.
Traditionally
in boyhood
one might design
a
menu for an imaginary pub in such weather.
These
days it would feel
more like a tender
spreadsheet
of
emotion for
an internet cafe.
I
took a sudden interest in the dust that lies
at
the bottom of things, and thought
of my father.
A
GUIDED TOUR OF THE HOUSE
Here
is my bedroom, anagram of boredom.
The
books belong to Dr. Robert
because
it used to be his bedroom.
From
here I can take you on a guided tour.
We
enter at the back, into the scullery,
from
which you can access dad’s office,
or
move through to the spacious kitchen,
painted
a plush, Mediterranean coral.
There
are black, slate flags on the floor;
then
we move through to the carpeted
Hall,
from
which you can access the cloakroom
under
the stairs, the large sitting room,
and
the posh, coffee-cake dining room.
The
stairs are pine,
one
of the house’s main
selling
points
and lead you up via a creaky mezzanine
on
which there is a Victorian, stained-glass window
to
the first floor. To
your right as you
make
it upstairs you find two large bedrooms.
Straight
ahead of you is another.
To
your left is the corridor, off which
you
find a single loo, the shower room,
the
bath room, Hannah’s old bedroom
and
my own bedroom down at the end.
Just
outside my little room you find
the
attic stairs that wind
and lead
you up
to
the third floor, with a large bedroom,
that
used to be my dad’s attic of radio static,
and
which has its own little bathroom.
Moving
through you find the
playroom
where
James and Bob played Lego
except
the Velux has sealed shut by now.
I
used to climb out of it to smoke
on
the slate roof in summer nights
and
maybe write in Doors film weather.
And
last of all is
the
locked attic that
stores
or used to store sacred treasures.
UNDER
A BROKEN SHOWER
Downstairs
again. I cannot escape
what’s
inside just by changing
the
four walls which immure me.
I
look about at what’s on the walls -
a
calendar with local photos,
a
notice board of cork, a chart
depicting
the plants of the meadows,
a
dead telly wearing mum’s funeral hat,
some
of my sister’s art – and I wish
to
have no nastiness inside me.
I
cannot escape into these
indomitable
things. Then I hear
footsteps
upstairs, and doors closing.
Someone
gets in the power shower.
I
know who it is but that would be
telling.
And my Right to write
of
who is in the shower ends
where
another’s naked body begins.
The
thermostat on the shower’s broken,
so
the temperature is always too hot,
too
hot to get in, so we need
to
get a builder in to fix it. That
will
mean taking up the tiles,
and
re-tiling the surface of the interior
afterwards
when the job is done.
I’m
no handy man myself. To me
the
house’s plumbing and electricity
is
more or less magic, more or less
defiant
of the rules of physics.
This
not being able to wash normally
angers
my brother and I, who like
to
get warm in the shower in winter.
DEAR
DAD
If
you didn’t want me to pursue music
you
should’ve told me about the art deal
for
music was escape and release
but
now here I am talking to myself…
I
know my music’s not very good
and
was just a waste of precious time
and
now I sit here wanting more,
still
not knowing what your deal really was.
Now
that it is raining out in the garden,
I
think of putting a stop to all violence.
Lennon
got shot when he sang for peace,
and
I hope the same won’t happen to me.
FUSSY
ABOUT THE MUSTARD
One
evening, my dad took us all out
to
a posh, French restaurant with grand-dad.
When
the steak arrived, grand-dad
asked
the waiter for some mustard.
When
the waiter brought out some French
mustard,
grand-dad asked for English
mustard.
When the French waiter
apologised
and
said they had no English mustard,
grand-dad
stood up and announced
to
the whole French restaurant loudly
“the
mustard has to be English!
The
mustard has to be English!
The
mustard has to be English!”
until
dad said to him “alright grand-dad,
we
get the idea you can sit down now.”
Grand-dad
lied about his age at fifteen
to
stow away to the second World War
on
the bottom of a sub, then joining
the
Air Force, won the Sword of Honour,
and
became the youngest non-commissioned
officer
in the whole R. A. F. They say
he
was a great man, but he was certainly
fussy
about the mustard that night.
Personally
I can tolerate French
mustard
and
American as well… I am famous
for
having an open mind like that.
I
am always willing to try new things
as
if my life were an experiment but
into
what we do not yet know.
IN-BETWEEN
JOBS
A
kitchen to clean can be a bitch.
Through
cooking we travel the world –
or
at least those that cook do, leaving
me
to clean it up afterwards.
And
what job satisfaction you get
when
it’s done, and what a clean
room
you have to work in now.
The
trick is in keeping it clean.
And
what can I write but vent
my
spleen at a slinky screen, my
mood
made stable on a sterilised table,
all
my rage in the cage for the minimum wage?
The
meds are a wall that the meditators
cannot
break through. In the kitchen
I
sit now and vacillate between files…
the
screen confers a spurious sense
of
creativity. The
cars whoosh
past
– but then there is an abeyance,
and
that I like, a quiet lull between cars.
A
city boy in the sticks I am stuck,
but
I know where to go to muck
in
– the Miners Arms, the heartbeat
of
the village, where I used to drink
port
with the farmers. Once upon a time
I
had no further ambition in life
than
playing an acoustic set down there,
to
an audience of local folk gathered,
but
it hasn’t worked out thus far.
Unemployed,
or in-between jobs, I
think
of my father saying how
“you’ll
never be a bricklayer, John,”
and
recommended a music store.
But
music stores all closed down,
those
fertile years we all got phones,
when
the Towers fell at the gates of dawn,
and
paved the way for the next century.
YOU
DON’T NEED A MANSION IF YOU ARE FOR REAL
To
the one who says
I
should be writing
about
mind cancer
because
my mum is blue
you
might find that
even
though she is blue
there
is still a bed for you
whomsoever
you are
whenever
you need it
at
the foot of Sea Ness.
PART
FOUR:
THE
ALIGNMENT
THE
ALIGNMENT
Proposition
1
What
some call Order in the universe others call God, but they are one and
the same.
Explanation
Having
attested to the alignment of the Plough and the oldest fell Black
Combe,
only to coincide with a rhythm change in the White House during my
lifetime, I asked myself whether the alignment indicated Order or
Chaos in the universe. The argument for Order was that the alignment
only coincided with a rhythm change in the White House, so backed up
that idea that the Enlightenment is the simultaneous astrological and
sociological de-centering of Man, and the White House its child in
terms of both philosophy and build. It is easy to see how one might
consider the alignment indicating Order; but Chaos is a different
matter. The argument for Chaos is that the alignment would happen
with greater regularity if it were a clocktick universe, rather than
simply “when we want it to happen.” Still, the correct
endorsement
turned out to be Order, for there are
cosmological events that only happen once
every
few thousand years or
so.
So having determined that the alignment indicates Order in the
Universe the next step was to recognise that in this case Order in
the Universe is synonymous with God.
*
Proposition
2
Metaphysics
is the place where science and religion meet.
Explanation
The
scientific mode or even “tone of mind” would be to call
it Order
in the universe; and the religious mode or “tone of mind” would
be to call
it
God – and as shown they can be synonymous with one another.
Therefore metaphysics is the place where science and religion meet.
Q.
E. D.
*
Proposition
3
If
God is synonymous with Order in the Universe, it follows that God is
not extrinsic to matter.
Explanation
This
view might be trendy at the moment, as scientists at C. E. R. N. hunt
for the God Particle, which has been labelled a daft misnomer by
others still who tend to believe that God is perfect and matter is
error. The belief, though, that God is not
extrinsic to matter dates back at least as far as Spinoza, for whom
there was no substance that wasn’t part of God. The
counter argument is that the alignment is not God itself but a mere
example of a state of Order in the universe that is itself
not
visible and is synonymous with God.
*
Proposition
4
If
the alignment is perfect, God is perfect too.
Explanation
We
already know that by definition God is perfect and the
alignment does not necessarily let us stare at the perfection that is
God but merely signifies the Order in the whole universe at large
that is synonymous with God. To stare at the alignment is not to be
let down about the perfection of God, but God is more than the
alignment itself.
*
Proposition
5
It
is not the alignment itself but the Order in the universe which it
indicates which is synonymous with God.
Explanation
Here
we seem to be slightly tautological. I
have been teasing this point out. At the moment of the alignment,
which lasted for a good, few nights, there were other things going on
in the
world of simultaneity,
synchronicity
and syncretism
and these were also connected into the same scope of Order as
the alignment. God is the overall picture and the alignment an
example by which we can measure the Order.
*
Proposition
6
It
is good to get to the root of one’s own beliefs but you must
understand the way it seems is that necessarily all belief-systems
are woven in to this religious stance by
the alignment,
even atheism.
Explanation
In
the alignment, we see that atheism and theism lose their polarities.
The Order in the universe would be what an atheist makes of it, and
even if that is all he believes in, as shown it is synonymous with
God, and can be just the same as what a religious person would take
from the event. An atheist and a theist can in all likelihood agree,
and only agree, on the matter of our Plough alignment. The alignment
factors all faiths into its happening, like the
goal of
syncretism, almost
attesting
to that notion that Blissful Lovingness is where all religions meet.
Rather than different religions connecting
though,
it is even more startling that religion and science agree, and
religion and atheism agree in the event of the alignment.
*
Proposition
7
Because
the alignment is about one-ness, it is possible to use it to
undermine and undo presupposed binary oppositions in arguments.
Explanation
We
have seen how science and religion can be a binary undone, also how
even theism and atheism can be undone. This is propitiated by the
basic principle that Order in the universe, which can be appreciated
by science or atheism too, is synonymous with the idea of God when it
comes to the alignment.
*
Proposition
8
If
Order in the universe is synonymous with God, we are all one and our
differences reconciled.
Explanation
If
an atheistic scientist recognises Order in the universe in the event
of the alignment, and a Deist believes the alignment a manifestation
of God’s
work,
then they essentially agree on the same thing if it is true that
order in the universe is synonymous with God, and
are but calling the same thing by two different names.
*
Proposition
9
If
the alignment is not God itself but just an example of Order in the
universe which is synonymous with God, it may not be the case that
God is not extrinsic to matter.
Explanation
If
the alignment were God manifested, it would be a God of atoms, stars,
particles et al, but seeing as the alignment is indicative of a sense
of Order in the Universe that stretches beyond the alignment itself,
and
which we are saying is synonymous with God, God
might be the underlying, organisational principle and still retain
exemption from the condition of matter.
*
Proposition
10
That
Order in the universe and God are two different names for the same
thing creates common ground between science and religion, also
atheism and religion.
Explanation
This
point reiterates previous points. It
shows that in practice
what science may call Order in the universe, religion may call God,
and despite their seeming to not agree, they could be one and the
same thing, under
different appellations.
*
Proposition
11
It
may be magnetism that underlies the variability of belief when it
comes to the matter of the alignment.
Explanation
Maybe,
we are all but iron filings firked to the moon in the same way and
our differences are differences created by language being stubborn
and awkward. When I say we all agree that the alignment is the
alignment, it makes my home the magnetic, telluric and gravitational
foot. It endorses the yellow, McDonalds ‘M’ in the word “them”
in
the advert. It
could be that magnetism unites us where words keep us separated, and
the event of the alignment could be an essentially magnetic event in
and of itself on a scientific level. So it is that we could be all
stardust, all helplessly and
involuntarily charged in a magnetic way. Different fields of
language, to use David Morley’s phrase, could also be underlined by
a common principle when it comes to magnetism. The
magnetism of the stars, the magnetism of the oldest rock, could be
the same magnetism, and people part of it too.
*
Proposition
12
The
alignment and its inherent magnetism has the ability to turn a
staunch atheist into an agnostic.
Explanation
It
barely needs explaining that the observation of the alignment is so
sublime, even terrifying, that it truly becomes a good use of the
word “awesome” and has the power to change the polarity or the
charge of an atheist into something like an agnostic or even more.
Even an atheist who saw it would remark at the stunning sublimity of
it, and the coincidence with the rhythm change in the White House
too; and it might suddenly strike the atheist that God might really
exist after all, because the atheist would glimpse a sense of Order
in the universe that he had previously never considered, it being
bigger than one man’s brain. The atheist may have empirical science
behind him not believing in a man in the clouds, but the same
empiricism would lend the atheist towards a more religious or at
least agnostic stance if with his own eyes he perceived the Plough
alignment.
*
Proposition
13
It
does not diminish God to have him equate to Order in the universe,
nor muddy up and make dogmatic religion of science to have Order in
the universe equate to God.
Explanation
To
mention Order in the Universe might make a religious person
contemplate nothing but the cold, black, vacuity of space, which is
seen as Godless in science, and to mention God to a scientist might
have stigma for the scientist too, but truly in the alignment I can
see nothing other than the point of Order in the universe becoming
synonymous with God. It does not diminish God to call him Order in
the Universe for this backdates to the Bible and is not a new,
scientific notion at loggerheads with religion but old. Traditionally
God created the world from chaos; and therefore my documenting the
alignment takes on the role of rewriting Genesis to
a partial extent.
Still, I can see how a top scientist, wishing to find something out
would be frustrated if God was the only answer and he was not allowed
to go any further, ask any further questions.
*
Proposition
14
The
universe may just be a very elegant place.
Explanation
The
universe may be elegant but whether it is designed by God or not we
do not know. There are said to be three arguments for God in
philosophy: the ontological, the teleological and the cosmological.
My argument is that at some level the Order in the Universe which an
atheistic scientist believes in is synonymous with God, the same
thing but seen through different eyes, expressed with a different
name. The scientist and the theist could be working on the same
problem, onto the same thing, albeit in different disguises,
disguises which are superficial, while underlying it all we find the
same magnetism, which also ties in with the same instinct on
a human level.
*
Proposition
15
The
alignment doesn’t prove God but it does prove Order in the
universe.
Explanation
The
alignment doesn’t make the Bible stories literal. It doesn’t mean
we have captured a square of blue sky and examined it for evidence of
God and found it. To those that don’t naturally believe in God it
only proves Order in the mechanical operation of the Universe in
which man finds himself. It proves also that the sociological and the
astrological realms are connected. To some though that is enough for
a redefinition of what the word “God” means or should mean. It
means, as stated, that there is an Order in the universe that is
beyond our control – for surely the alignment was not down to human
manipulation
of the stars – and that the Order is elegant, and the universe
therefore benign. These things that are proven are as stated enough
for a God, a redefinition of God, for me, as a personal belief.
*
Proposition
16
If
the alignment recurred tomorrow night, without anything significant
to coincide with in the socio-political sphere, this argument would
not be invalid.
Explanation
This
is because what has happened has happened and we cannot change the
facts. It may make me look a bit ridiculous if only now I am bringing
this paper together and the next day the alignment recurs for nothing
special, no good reason, but I would still say Order
in the universe is the atheist’s God, and a scientific description
– or even equivalent – of a theist’s divinity. It would also
surprise me if the alignment did recur tomorrow. But I have become
convinced that what astro-physics labels Order in the universe and
what Christianity calls the Divine Being represents a false
dichotomy. That is the point.
*
Proposition
17
After
a while of talking about the alignment directly, one starts to wonder
if the whole conversation should be hidden or else abandoned.
Explanation
It
seems like wearing clothes out of the shame of one’s body being
naked; but in the case of the alignment and talking about it, it is
the shame associated with the Sin of Consciousness. So we reach a
point where the prelapsarian event of writing, which is freedom,
becomes changed. To liken this change of mood and tone of mind to the
Fall of Man is another step.
*
Proposition
18
Speaking
of the alignment directly might offend like sacrilege or blasphemy.
Explanation
Indeed,
this consolidates the sense of the divine nature of this event, this
theophany, where it is not just about awe but possibly law too. If it
is rude to stare, I was rude. If it is
blasphemous
or sacrilegious I was that. If God cannot be seen with the naked eye,
the work of God can still be seen with the naked eye. Unless
that is you deem it the work of, say, cosmic silence, in which case I
would reiterate my point about the false dichotomy between God and
the idea of Order in the universe.
*
Proposition
19
The
alignment is an object of worship that transcends difference and also
underlies the variability of religious beliefs.
Explanation
To
see the alignment is to be taken in by a religious event. The
religion itself, as in what religion you are, does not matter. The
alignment makes sense whatever religion you are, whatever colour or
creed. It is so sacred that some people, from a distance, without
seeing it, hide it under the name “white eyebrow.” It is not
inconceivable that it is the main focal point of an international
religion all the way round the world. A Rastafarian and a Jew and a
Christian could all be equally awe-struck by the alignment, which is
almost like saying we are equal in the eyes of God, and almost like
the idea that these different faiths share a common perception of
God, which I have argued is the same as the idea of Order in the
universe.
*
Proposition
20
The
alignment is evidence that Nature is the true architecture of State.
Explanation
Indeed,
I was just thinking about Wordsworth who sought passage to the divine
through the medium of Mother Nature, when I stumbled on this old
aphorism, this axiomatic truth. It is the connection between the
astrological event of the alignment and the socio-political sphere
that makes this axiom ring true to me. Still, it feels right-wing
compared with the exploration of the Future State, and maybe therein
you have the essential difference between the Right and the Left.
*
Proposition
21
Even
though the alignment is only really visible from this private
property, we can’t affect it to happen.
Explanation
Indeed
its being affected to happen is something beyond my knowledge as
well as control.
If there is manipulation, I cannot tell who by or where. I cannot
tell if the alignment arrives top-down from the State or bottom-up
from the farmers who plough
the land. It being the Plough alignment,
one would presume it might be the farmers… farming was the most
noble profession unto the Ancient Greeks. Wordsworth
too,
who sought the thoughts of the highest man in the words of the common
man, thought that the working class, the peasant class, had stronger
moral fibre than the higher classes. The
alignment also includes the plight of the
blacks…
I was once thanked for what I did for the blacks, even though I did
little except host the alignment. My friends came up from the south
after quite a few nights
of it and attested to it; then we went off on a camping trip in the
Lakes and that was the last I saw of the alignment. What would’ve
happened had we walked up Black Combe instead of the camping trip I
do not know. And ultimately, when it aligns, who else can you thank
but God?
*
Proposition
22
God
might exist on a mathematical plane without knowing of our existence.
Explanation
I
confess I read this online somewhere but have long since been
interested in the idea that answers to the divine will arrive in
maths. My father read Philosophy at the LSE in the 1960’s and went
there seeking answers to the divine but found instead the philosophy
of science. I have looked into the idea of a number sequence that
leads to Heaven in my own writing. Ascending
the fell I consider that Heaven is a pile of statistics no-one will
ever see – for I would seek to know if I have taken more steps up
the fell than any other – and reason that I will never find out.
But as for the proposition, it is but one of many concepts of God.
Aristotle’s God was “thought thinking on itself.” For others
God is but a stopped, glottal monosyllable. For others God is used to
fill holes in arguments. For others God is not to worship in blind,
dogmatic slumber but to behead, dethrone and become. For others God
is but a vain projection to cover up our fear of Nothingness. To
others we don’t deserve a God, are but monkeys with bigger brains
and more dextrous fingers. And yet to those who speak against God in
such ways, I ask what do you make of the alignment then? It
doesn’t strike me as random-ness and chance.
*
Proposition
23
One
is free to dismiss anything I say about the alignment because one has
the Right to Freedom of Religious
Belief.
Explanation
It
scarcely needs me saying that I am guessing with all this, for
academia proceeds by guesswork. It is not intended as a dogmatic
creed. It is not intended to be stamped on the hearts and minds of
humanity. Should you disagree with my thinking on my feet in such a
way you are free to form your own opinions. For example one of our
nearest neighbours lives at
Fell Brow which is further up the fell and looks out from it rather
than up at it, and the person from Fell Brow dismisses the validity
of the alignment because
it can’t be seen to come together from his house.
I can only report from the gravitational, magnetic and telluric foot,
where the Plough alignment is uniquely viable and visible. You find
the footpath up the fell begins here on our land, in the Combe field
which is a museum of a field, retaining a furrowed, rippled look from
old-fashioned ploughing technology of agrarian golden ages of yore.
It is in that field where the alignment really works best in terms of
visibility.
*
Proposition
24
You
cannot separate a religion from its indigenous landscape.
Explanation
Indeed
one of my favourite novels from when I was growing up, The
Buddha of Suburbia
by Hanif Kureishi, seems to posit a religion in a different place
from where it arose, and the difficulties inherent in that. Clearly
though, what they mean when they say you cannot remove a religion
from its indigenous landscape comes clear to you at the alignment.
The alignment makes it all make sense, the indigenous wisdom of the
saying. It’s the first time you see the landscape in a religious
light. It
connects the stars and the farm land.
*
Proposition
25
At
the alignment the main event was in the White House.
Explanation
My
father didn’t even acknowledge the alignment, preferring to stay
indoors and watch the inaugural speech of Mr. Obama whom they called
“the poet” on telly. For dad that was the main event and anything
in the cosmicomic sphere was trivial compared with it. I remember in
1997 when we still had a second house in London, he told me there was
probably going to be a rhythm change in the White House during my
lifetime, and he was right. He would’ve said the poet’s
democratic election was the main event and not the Plough alignment.
Still
there were people I knew among my southern friends, musicians mainly,
that foresaw the stars coming into alignment before they foresaw the
democratic election of the poet. I
suppose as momentum gathered they became one and the same goal. I
suppose the alignment showed that America is still the policeman of
the world, but derives its Enlightenment values from Britain.
*
Proposition
26
There
is a seer’s trance associated with the oldest fell.
Explanation
The
foothill of Black Combe, Sea Ness, was once upon a time, according to
a white witch who proof-read for Norman Nicholson, named Seer Ness
after a seer and his trance. Someone said the seer was St. Patrick
but it hasn’t been confirmed. I am now known as a seer by the
locals… I envisioned
the net and was
the witness from The
Lords And The New Creatures
too
as
a boy, attained the face of stars in adolescence, foresaw the future
on many fronts in 2000, including forewarning of September 11th,
attested to the white eyebrow in 2008 and even more recently attained
visual radio in the perceptual kingdom of the individual. What
place there is for a visionary in modern society is not known, in
terms of whether a visionary is still needed or not, only that you
shouldn’t expect to be paid for your visionary activity. It
might be the case that my geographical position is what accounts for
a history of visionary activity, such as the idea that September 11th
had to go through me as a schoolboy because I live in the house where
the Plough alignment is uniquely viable.
*
Proposition
27
The
Plough can come back to confirm the geometry and the dimensions
without actually aligning.
Explanation
Indeed,
the Plough has been back to confirm the geometry and dimensions, but
hovered above the socket, without actually being plugged in. I
captured it also on my new Smartphone, in a state of partial but not
complete alignment. We can do this again, and it likely will happen
again but whether or not it will be in my lifetime I do not know.
There may need to be a great event in the socio-political sphere. It
may need to be a coincidence, in the truest sense of two incidents
coinciding. You
notice last time it coincided with an American political event… it
is not certain whether or not it can coincide with an English
political event. So
far it has only been a partial alignment for various events in
England.
*
Proposition
28
Out
of many things, the alignment is said to be the only one that augurs
well
for
good sanity.
Explanation
This
one isn’t my own proposition, but is the comment of Mr. Mark
Velarde to a long paragraph I sent him containing some information
about what I had been through. I hesitate to replicate it herein
because I might wish to employ encryption, delight in a wilful
opacity. Still, it warrants noting that the Plough alignment does
augur well for good sanity, unlike, say, much of the other things I
got up to and went through in my life. If
I told you
what
they were it might cause problems.
*
Proposition
29
The
universe is a very mysterious place.
Explanation
Indeed
when my old band came up to attest to the alignment and we spoke of
God in the camper van, I mentioned that “mystery will remain a
constant.” I privilege uncertainty, believe the beauty of
uncertainties to be the only Absolute, believe that there is
indeterminacy at the core of all things, believe
that
what science calls indeterminacy art calls Undecidability, that
they are the same thing just one for the world of matter the other
the subjective realm, believe
that Keats was right with his utterance on Negative Capability,
believe
that
to end on a note of radical incertitude is to end in the dark which
is nourishing for the soul. In short Uncertainty prevails. But the
alignment points towards answers because it points towards God’s
benevolence, if you believe in God. I
for one know that I don’t know, but have taken to reconciling
dichotomous entities via the alignment.
*
Proposition
30
What
gets you most about the alignment is the silence.
Explanation
Indeed
it is very silent for something so magnificent and
of such immensity.
The whole universe is the same. There is more sound in me walking
round the kitchen in a circle than in the black vacuity of space,
because no sound travels in a vacuum. So the great, hulking, mammoth
universe is surprisingly quiet when it falls at your feet. As quiet
as a gilly flower curtseying like a delicate ballerina. So it is
false to then call the alignment a chord, like a secret chord Y,
because it is silent and makes no sound.
*
Proposition
31
Every
planet has its own colour and
‘Calliope’ means “beautiful face.”
Explanation
Now
that we are on to cosmic blues it bears noting that Every planet has
its own colour and also that Calliope means “beautiful face” in
Ancient Greek. These would be my two, mangled hands if I were playing
the piano up in the Alps. It’s better than saying “Every atom ate
our eyes” which is simply not true. The latter came from taking too
much LSD with Paul at the solar eclipse, and was in fact written
during the eclipse itself. There’s also “Blessed is peace as
blessed is ‘FUCK!’” which comes from a poem called ‘An Inward
Prayer’ and again turns the aural into the visual it being about
concealing
the
face of stars. These were my former mangled hands, and were supposed
to be the rudimentary
music
theory for the sheet where pictures grew but to say “Every planet
has its own colour” and “‘Calliope’ means “beautiful face”
in Greek,” is better because truthful. The
job of philosophy is all about finding out the truth after
all.
*
Proposition
32
The
alignment is not a vision as such.
Explanation
It
could conceivably
and potentially at least be
described as a theophany which is an epiphany that reveals the Lord;
but it is not a vision. To call it a vision would be to dismiss it to
being transient, or privileged, whereas it was proven all you needed
to do was stand in the garden here at the foot of the fell to be able
to see it; and no it was not a vagary of perception, nor a vision in
any sense of the word except that Martin Luther King sense of “I
have a dream,” and that dream coming true.
*
Proposition
33
Vision
is demarcated from mere wild hallucination by it containing a
revelation of the divine.
Explanation
I
have written at greater length about this elsewhere and so needn’t
repeat myself, only note that this proposition means vision has been
indoctrinated by the Church, who only brand Nature as evil.
*
Proposition
34
Apart
from the alignment this is nowhere.
Explanation
There
is no neighbourhood; there are no amenities; there is nowhere to go
if you don’t have a car. My father described this place as a
monastic retreat and a spiritual tonic, a good place to come to get a
piece of writing done. He said we were out of sight out of mind to
the powers that be. Equidistant
we’ve got Sellafield up the coast and the nuclear submarine factory
down the coast but in-between there’s nothing for miles. Even if I
could work, which I can’t on account of Stress being the arch-enemy
of mental illness, there is no job for miles. Here, you are really
stuck without a car. You have to gain freedom from accepting
limitation, that freedom that the visionary still knows when in his
cell.
*
Proposition
35
There’s
no such thing as “almost infinite.”
Explanation
This
proposition could
be regarded as a counter to those that say “there is no immutable
truth.” Poets often think history is malleable, selfhood mythology,
all writing fiction, and that there is no immutable truth. But
Bertrand Russell points out in History
of Western Philosophy
that a philosopher may regard truth as being timeless and eternal,
fixed and static, or at least believe in a type of truth that is so.
The idea that there’s no such thing as almost infinite seems to my
meagre mind to exemplify that philosophic truth, seems evidence that
some truth is immutable. But I might be wrong.
*
Proposition
36
It
may mean mayhem to consider that it’s all contained in the word for
“mother.”
Explanation
Well,
Henry Miller talks of the “ovarian shopping trolley.” I would
take this to mean the Plough. But I don’t remember anything else
from the Miller. The alignment is exquisite for something as
commonplace as the word for “mother.”
*
Proposition
37
It’s
also what Leonard Cohen means when he says “I thought you knew
where all the elephants lie down.”
Explanation
Another
cultural reference, this time the sung poetry of Leonard Cohen. I
quoted the line to my gf once upon a time whom it seems wanted to
meet up in dreams. Years later, after we had split, she came round.
By this stage we both knew – that “unreal world” as she called
it, the other side of the gate that leads to the fell, is the place
where all the elephants lie down.
*
Proposition
38
The
alignment was also foreshadowed by a Gomez album called Abandoned
Shopping Trolley.
Explanation
Indeed,
at the event
itself, when my old band fell up north in a camper van and first
filed out into the northern night, and I said there’s something
you’ve got to see, I advertised the Plough as “the abandoned
shopping trolley from the Gomez album of that name.” It
was just like normal speech, there were no airs and graces, there was
no great Unified
Theory
of Everything
following on for any of us – but that
may not be final.
*
Proposition
39
I
have said it before but the working equation for the alignment might
be the way the qwerty keyboard ends on M.
Explanation
There
would thus be the gravitational pull of the oldest fell written into
the digital network of computing. The magnetism of the alignment
would be inherent in the way we now write at a screen. What I mean is
when it comes to the alignment, the occasion IS the equation.
*
Proposition
40
The
alignment can reveal to you that you don’t know your own belief
system yet.
Explanation
Indeed,
I wasn’t sure what I believed in. In the conversation in the camper
van about God the rest of the band seemed convinced one way or the
other but I seemed to endorse a third party, saying (as stated) that
mystery will remain a constant. Please
see Proposition 29 for more on that.
*
Proposition
41
The
face of stars was a vision but the alignment not.
Explanation
The
face of stars was a true vision for being observable by three
gathered in the name as Jesus said but was also propitiated by
Rimbaudian derangement,
for Rimbaud said “the poet makes himself a visionary through a
prodigious derangement of the senses to attain the unknown” – and
we three gathered in the name had shared a spliff of pollen before
the face. It
was therefore true vision and derangement at the same time. The
Plough meanwhile was more than a vision even though it did arguably
at least
contain divinity, and it was not born of the derangement of the
senses to attain the unknown (as far as I know).
*
Proposition
42
As
Blake said the nature of visionary fancy is very little understood.
Explanation
As
stated in Proposition 33, vision is traditionally demarcated from
mere hallucination by containing a revelation of the divine. Blake
was said to be a true visionary for breakfasting with angels and
seeing the sun as Holy. Allen Ginsberg was visited by the ghost of
Blake who taught Ginsberg the notes to the Songs
of Innocence And Experience,
and was deemed insane for it because
there was no divinity.
With Rimbaud people go both ways – some think him a visionary for
being able to look at a factory and see a mosque, others think him
all about mere wild hallucination. If
the alignment was not a vision, nor wild hallucination born of
derangement, it must be something else.
*
Proposition
43
With
the Plough alignment the object
of vision
is perfect in geometry and proportion.
Explanation
Indeed
it could be said to be “to the inch.” It therefore points to
answers. It says the science works. It justifies a belief in progress
even if it is the same milestone over and again. You
could say it was an angel in its divine proportions. You could say it
is the sum of all difference connected. You could say it shows life
is mystery more than muddle. You could say the big mystery is whether
or not the shapes involved – the oldest fell, glaciated and
striated over thousands of years – and the Plough – are so
exactly fitting out of chance or design. And to be honest the
universe looks so much like it has been designed intelligently with
the alignment that I almost forgive my father for bringing us up to
believe in God.
*
Proposition
44
In
the camper van at the alignment, a song was needed.
Explanation
And
indeed it didn’t really matter what song or rather whose song. I
played a song by the songwriter Will Fenn called ‘Found Out’
which is a number I really like. He was a big influence on my song
writing at one point when I was younger, and a friend too. I thought
I should play the best song I could play and as well as I could do it
too. I think the guys in the band were impressed by the Will Fenn
number… even though it was a cover. I think they thought the
alignment terrifying and the song I played an absolute classic albeit
one not related in any way to the subject at hand, be
it astrologically or socio-politically.
*
Proposition
45
There
is no-one at hand to start monetising the alignment.
Explanation
The
only money I ever received at the time of the alignment was when I
took the band down to the Miners Arms and found a five pound note on
the floor. It wasn’t payment as such but I kept it and bought
myself a shot of whisky. Had it not been for that fiver I wouldn’t
have had any money when the band came up.
*
Proposition
46
The
alignment might
spell continued freedom and equality for the blacks.
Explanation
Writing
is freedom, as Martin Amis said, and freedom man’s main, psychic
thread dating back to his nomadic days when he was tall, lithe and
muscular. If I can’t find the freedom to write in England it is
hopeless. Indeed,
the alignment may have enshrined continued liberty and equality for
the blacks. It may have been about the black diaspora. I’m white
and I still felt the same. And
I contemplate now whether or not I felt I was being shamed, when I
clocked on to it first, but I don’t think I was. It was mechanistic
in the
divine
order
of things
rather than indicating that one should feel ashamed. It represented
Order in the great, star-crossed clock of the world. When the stars
come into alignment it should be peace on earth. It should affect
everyone. And to be fair it coincided with the great triumph of the
human spirit that was the first, black President of America.
Morrissey
had a song in his solo career about how he couldn’t respect America
until it had provided a President that was gay, black or female –
and his wish was granted. Unto some, it really was the case that
America was a right-wing nightmare, a white, protestant maelstrom, a
hegemonic zone.
The election of Mr. Obama was a dream come true that had been on the
cards for generations – and as soon as he came in, it was all about
his policies, nothing else. He was in short to be judged fairly,
according to the same criteria as the rest. And what a charismatic
leader he was, his catchphrase being “yes we can.” I suppose the
alignment coincided because it was like resetting the clock.
*
Proposition
47
The
fell’s striated way by daytime dips in the middle like dad’s
baggy hammock from Afghanistan.
Explanation
The
hammock in question is rusty brown like the hue of the fell in autumn
and winter time. It dips in the middle. Infinity does this too – it
dips in the middle where prayers are said. Sometimes I look at the
fell, though, and just think “hammock.” This was particularly the
case before the alignment. I am reminded now that walking on the sun
there are no ups, downs, lefts or rights. Also that musical notation
only reads left to right and there may be something more holistic to
dream of. That sometimes in Nature I see invisible sheet music stream
from right to left. But these are scattershot-logical perceptions as
part of a brain-storm.
*
Proposition
48
Sticking
to the alignment might be as near to a Unified Field Theory as an
amateur like myself can get.
Explanation
It
may seem like a narrow focus but only through the system is the
system conquered. To be truthful, though, I know all too little
little about how far Einstein got towards his lifetime goal of the
Unified Field Theory. Still, there was a time when I recalibrated my
own goal for that same end. It’s a long story that I might cut
short. In
short, a
desire
to contribute to the Unified Field Theory was engendered by life
events not education. To
start with, my
father, as
it
now
transpires,
might’ve been sponsored by some philosophers to provide the real
human witness from The
Lords And The New Creatures
by
Jim Morrison. At seven I am said to have helped invent the net: when
the idea of the net needed storing in writing in the attic at the
foot of the fell in order to give it a chance to grow all round the
world, it was me that wrote it. At eight I made not one but two very
strange Naturalistic Observations as witness. By
then I
had
also gone wrong with the
maths of the new colour, which
by eleven left a tiny mark.
At fifteen I attained the face of stars which might’ve been
scripted in the Bible. At eighteen, in 2000, I forewarned of
September 11th
and also wrote the highest-marked English Literature A-level exam
essay in the nation at 100%. In
2000 I also prophesied the hunt for the God Particle from
looking at dust in a late ray of light angling in like I were
Democritus himself and
yet
said
the alignment, to celebrate a rhythm change in the White House, could
be in India as opposed to my own back garden! The
idea I had for a book was called The
Scientific Papers and
classed as “a series of findings into itself, into the concept of
art and science as a single discussion of perception.” The Towers
fell in my Gap Year 2001. Some friends and I started to record an
album on binaural earphones which I lately gather were even mine own
idea to invent. At some point I attended Warwick University
and
found my tutor had just brought out The
Scientific Papers.
It was classed as “a series of
findings into itself, into the concept of art and science writing as
a single discussion of perception.” He
had the extra word “writing.” So I
had to recalibrate my goal and thought about The Unified Field Theory
as in Einstein’s unobtained ambition and also defaced bank notes
which would be more Rage Against The Machine. After some interesting
work on Instant Travel, also on Lucy in the Soul W/ Demons, I left
Warwick with no degree, finished off the album we recorded on
earphones, saying I would “plug my senses in the mains,” attended
another University in Lancaster, and
then we had the alignment. The
alignment was itself an item in a chain that continued after the
alignment.
I
think
in Order I hosted
the
alignment, then
got
my
desired
First despite mental illness in
the end,
doing
the defaced bank note thing, then
spotted
my name tattooed on Piper
At
The Gates of Dawn,
built the Tower as an instrument of philosophy, worked at a numinous,
purple-bleeding screen in an experiment into post-humanism, conducted
an experiment into a tape with a pause where cut and resealed in the
flimsy
reel
and discovered the sheet where pictures seemingly depicting my own
song lyric grew. Even
after the sheet things continued for I
also falsified the Nirvana barcode and attained visual radio
broadcasting dreams. Then
it was time to bring out books. I brought many out but didn’t yet
win with them. And now here I am, supposed to be focussing only on
the alignment!
*
Proposition
49
It
is not certain whether or not the alignment warps and bends the
fabric of spacetime.
Explanation
I
might be wrong about this, because memory is unreliable, but I
remember saying to Tommo from the band I shouldn’t have a problem
getting a job now that I’ve got my First Class Honours degree; and
I remember that being at the Plough alignment; and I didn’t get my
First until 2009; but the alignment in history happened with the
democratic election of Mr. Obama in 2008. As I say I may have
misremembered something
there
or else may be sitting on evidence that the closer you get to the
alignment, the more time breaks down. It may have been the case that
my First was already a dead certainty by 2008 when the band came up.
Or it may be that I mentioned to Tommo that I wouldn’t have trouble
getting a job at a different, later occasion,
after 2009.
Still, I have no way of knowing if the gravity of the alignment warps
and bends the fabric of spacetime.
*
Proposition
50
The
encrypted node in my seven year old book is that if the Gravity
between the earth and the moon is instant and therefore enough
to break
light speed, a clock is still only as fast as a cheetah – but this
is wrong.
Explanation
Indeed,
it is wrong because Gravity has no motion therefore cannot be said to
travel faster than the speed of light. Gravity, according to
Einstein, simply warps and bends the fabric of spacetime. Only things
with no mass can travel at light speed. These days you only need to
watch a Youtube video on the topic to pick up this amount of
information.
*
Proposition
51
In
poetry they say there is nothing so dead as an important thing; and
the alignment is important; but in philosophy it may be the case that
it can be treated.
Explanation
Indeed,
philosophy treats a subject, or even object, and the alignment comes
into focus now as that. It seems that Man is winning with the great
cause when it comes to the alignment. It seems the great song of Man
is being sung. It seems a great triumph of the human spirit. In
poetry something as Symbolic would be dead. Poetry finds itself in
nuances, contingencies and inklings not important things. It is a
guess but I would say philosophy is the correct endorsement for the
alignment. So
it seemed when the band fell north – we all got philosophising in
the camper van, and God was the topic. I
remember everyone apart from me having some security over their own
opinions, whereas I tended to the third party of agnosticism. The
alignment is big, in literal scale and socio-political significance,
and the questions it makes us ask are big questions too: questions
of whether God exists or not; questions as to the intelligent
design of the universe; questions about chance and fate; about
random-ness or determinism. I
was at the time a practising poet and left the alignment more or less
alone in my work, unless it was a prose paragraph, and was wise to do
so too. It’s just too big to fit into a poem. If my life were a
game of Tetris, the pieces would all be too big for the screen and
the alignment especially so. It is public and political but only from
a private residence and everywhere else too at the same time. The
Plough also aligned with the oldest fell in London, in Paris, in Rome
– and still only from our home.
*
Proposition
52
The
tail end of the encrypted node, that a clock is only as fast as a
cheetah, still feels right in an unfalsifiable sense.
Explanation
Science
and art have different sensibilities when it comes to truth. In
science truth is to be falsified, but through falsifiability nothing
is 100%, only 99%
at best, only the
best theory at the time. In poetry there is truth-to-itself through
which anything can be 100% if well-made enough. Poetic truth is like
the truth of the individual, constituted of its own inner nature. A
poem could say “Barnes has scored a chicken” and get away with it
being 100% true
but
in science it would never be 100%. That a clock is only as fast as a
cheetah feels right in the unfalsifiable sense to me. You could even
try and encrypt it in musical truth with no words on a drum kit!
*
Proposition
53
Providing
what we provide here is no different from a worker in a tea field in
Malaysia.
Explanation
We
tend to the house and garden. We don’t get paid, we pay the bills
as per every other household. I myself can count doing the washing up
as one of my daily tasks. Others that drive have to do the shopping.
My
brother and I are
on Benefits, and
my mum on a State pension,
so
we
are not very wealthy though my mother owns the house out-right and it
is quite a valuable property. Three times mum had it valued at over
£800, 000 recently. We don’t expect to be paid for looking after
it. We provide a Function. And it strikes me while looking at a photo
of a tea-field in Malaysia that a worker there doesn’t expect to be
a rich and famous rock star, just quietly gets on with his work. Then
it strikes me that it is the same here, that we are on a level, that
there is kinship between us here and that worker in that Malaysian
tea field.
*
Proposition
54
The
value of this house should include the Bigger Picture.
Explanation
My
father said this, not I, and it’s funny that he did because he was
taught by
Karl
Popper
at the LSE, who didn’t believe in any “Bigger Picture” towards
which an argument tends. Popper’s epistemological methodology was
P1 to TT to EE to P2, meaning Problem One to Tentative Theory to
Error Elimination to Problem Two, and he was diametrically opposed to
logical positivism for whom even the circular argument trends
forwards. Popper saw no Bigger Picture towards which things trend. My
father cited his influence and yet believed “the value of our house
should include the Bigger Picture.” An estate agent will not factor
the alignment into the valuation of the house, simply treat it like
other houses. My father thought living here his children should be
aristocrats.
*
Proposition
55
To
focus on one subject or object is therapeutic.
Explanation
There
is something purgatorial going on. I can talk to you about, say, the
maths of the new colour, or the falsification of the Nirvana barcode,
or many other things, but to focus on just the alignment promises a
document that is neatly sealed, a tidy piece of scholarship. It
trains the mind to focus on one thing. There have been distractions,
but the idea is now to get the job done. This is not a chore, but is
slow progress; and something therapeutic is going on with regards to
the repetition of the theme.
*
Proposition
56
Order
is happiness.
Explanation
Again
it was my father that said this… and does it follow that Dionysus,
the Greek God of Chaos, equates to sadness? No it does not, but it
doesn’t mean there is no truth in what my father said. He had a
file for almost everything in life. He got up with the sun even in
his illness. Maybe
it follows more rationally that mess equates to Pain. For sadness may
be the musical key of intelligence. And yes I think disorder leads to
pain. This may have been prevalent in my narrative, always looking to
tie things up neatly, always subject to a Craving for Order that is a
natural part of anyone. I would say that Order is happiness could be
the most prevailing theme of all of this writing about the alignment,
and it is there in my word choice as well as evident in my subject
matter, namely the alignment itself.
*
Proposition
57
After
all that, words are insufficient for dealing with the alignment.
Explanation
The
natural beauty of the Lakes in general seems impervious to effusive
verbiage, fanciful magniloquence, fastidious loquacity, to words in
general. The alignment in particular is jaw-dropping and
heart-stopping, utterly awesome, sublime, preternatural, and thus
does not fit into words. If
I were in a National Park in Chile, though, I would be inspired by
the surroundings and try to incorporate that in my poetry. So I don’t
see anything wrong with trying to write about the alignment of the
Plough and oldest fell in the Lake District. It’s
description that fails, description that is not enough. It is the
role of the writer to obviate not titivate.
*
Proposition
58
On
the first night of the alignment, other people elsewhere also saw the
Plough.
Explanation
And
their seeing the Plough might’ve been in relation to something else
again, like a chimney or a different hillside, a spikier peak
perhaps. This does not invalidate the alignment if it is true. The
argument that is growing is that the alignment proves there is Order
in the universe, that the universe is elegant, as if the product of
intelligent design. If
there are other places where alignment-like things happen, I would
not be surprised. What
one starts to wonder is whether or not they knew about the alignment
in the Ancient World, when things like Stone Henge and also the
Pyramids were being built.
*
Proposition
59
Even
the fell is mutable on a long enough timeline.
Explanation
Everything
is, even the fell. Even though it is the oldest fell, and was subject
to glaciation before the newer, punk upstart peaks came about, it
will not last forever, so even the alignment is not eternally
present. Eternity is Now and Now and Now, and before the alignment
Eternity can be observed, but the fact of the alignment, the
logistics of it working, will not last forever.
*
Proposition
60
Here,
the night sky only seems to turn on axis unobserved.
Explanation
Indeed,
the earth spins in circles round the sun, but when it came to the
alignment it was fixed in place for as long as you observed it.
Taking an interest in the sky again I later
found
that the constellations in general only seemed to have moved when I
was no longer observing the sky. I would have to come back inside to
the kitchen, wait a while and go back out if I wanted to see them
change. I don’t know why this is but the alignment also
was
held in place with fixity for several successive nights, and every
time you went out into the garden at night time it would be there.
*
Proposition
61
The
alignment must’ve been like taking 100 LSD tabs for breakfast to
those that had never been taken into a visionary world before.
Explanation
The
rest of my band, they had never seen things before, the face of stars
for example, or made weird Naturalistic Observations in boyhood, and
must’ve therefore perceived the alignment as like taking 100 LSD
tabs for breakfast. Indeed, I heard someone say something like that
when we later went to the Secret Garden Party (a festival). It was
also like “attaining television,” but so was the face of stars
before it, if I am not wrong. The face of stars is not a regular
constellation, only a visionary access, but the alignment involves a
known constellation and it seems more ancient than the face. It is no
less impressive than the face, and in fact maybe even more so. It
reveals that the universe works, that the world has secrets, that
everything is in Order. Rather than the metaphor of LSD I would
prefer to consider 100 ecstasy pills but it would be a fatal dose.
Ecstasy
is more about heart-magnetism than being psychoactive. Yes, I think
the alignment could be unpacked in terms of Ecstasy rather than LSD.
Sometimes
ecstasy can make you feel like your mouth is full of water, cold,
heavenly, crystal water and when you speak it all spills on the
floor.
*
Proposition
62
The
alignment was dead as Valley
End Services.
Explanation
That’s
the garage at the bottom of the valley, where we would sneak off to
in order to buy cigarettes when we were young. It’s dead and has
been dead for years – and yes as
my mother said the
alignment looked as dead as that dead garage too. Here
I’d like to reiterate that there’s nothing so dead as an
important thing. One of the two local pubs (the John Bull) where they
had Jimi Hendrix on the jukebox and a good pool table was swift to
follow the dead garage. Then the local village shop and Post Office
closed down. The only hope we have left is the new cafe down the
beach.
*
Proposition
63
With
love in it the universe is at least a luminous corpse.
Explanation
There’s
a discussion in Nabokov’s novel Pnin
about whether or not the universe is a corpse and if so whether or
not it is at least a luminous corpse. One would hope that with love
in it it is at least a luminous corpse; that the universe is not in a
hearse; that the universe-hearse is not in your soul-hole whole.
*
Proposition
64
The
alignment could still be a manifestation of God’s perfection.
Explanation
Yes,
and it could be a manifestation of God’s perfection of which there
are others. But what others? Maybe even a bar of light on the table
is one. And the alignment seems to be the most archetypal, sublime
and symbolic of all manifestations of God’s perfection because of
the sheer scale. It is not just the scale but the
fitting-into-place-ness. I was going to say it is absurd but that is
not the right word, nor uncanny. The sheer logic of it is sublime.
The logic of the alignment is beyond Man’s capacity to dream up and
indicates a God and intelligent design. It indicates, at least that
there is more to the universe than we understand; and when I say
intelligent design that is not just in terms of Creation but in terms
of God having a plan for Man. All of this is a major rebuttal of the
pragmatic atheism of my youth.
*
Proposition
65
One
might be forgiven for supposing the alignment is Man’s best chance
to prove God.
Explanation
The
burden of proof is on the believer in debates about God’s
existence; and to be the one who lives here one must surely turn to
God. The alignment might be Man’s best chance to prove God and if
it can’t be done it may be a problem with the desire of the author.
There are other proofs of God I came across. One was the instance
where you put all your postcards of visual art, like Van Gogh and
Turner, on the wall, and accidentally leave a space, then some time
later are sitting talking about God with your gf and notice that only
the blank space has been visited by sunlight through the window. Then
it seems like God is making a work of art to juxtapose with the
post-cards, and it looks like a pulsing, subaquatic wind-chime on the
wall. A Jehovah’s Witness however would say God can not be
observed, whereas someone like Spinoza is a pantheist that as stated
earlier believes there is no substance that is separate from God.
Dedalus from Ulysses
by James Joyce says ultimately we all have the same definition of God
and the alignment could easily be seen to confirm this utterance from
Ulysses.
*
Proposition
66
It
is not glaciation that shaped The Plough.
Explanation
What
I mean is because it all fits together one might consider that the
Plough and Black Combe were subject to the same force, were created
by the same thing. This could be God redefined. It could also be
something to do with Gravity. When you think about how it all fits,
you have to factor in human life into the equation too, not just in
terms of the socio-political sphere but at all levels and stations.
It is not glaciation that shaped The Plough but glaciation did shape
the fell, and what shaped the Plough is to do with physics, is
astral, but they both seem subject to the same sense of Order, an
overall Order that is perplexing and which one might be forgiven for
calling God.
*
Proposition
67
The
other stars in the sky went un-noticed at the alignment.
Explanation
It
was different at the face of stars, where the universe was enlumed,
drenched with electric diamonds, wet, dripping grape-bunches of
stars. When it came to the alignment, all focus was on the Plough. To
call it monocentric, though, would not be right. I here refer you
back to Proposition 62 – for the Plough truly looked dead at the
alignment, and the surrounding sky, and the fell, and the universe at
large. With the face of stars it was different: the cosmos was alive,
fizzing with energy, and it was like peering directly into the erotic
core of all things.
*
Proposition
68
Truly,
what was needed was some pollen from the Muslim World to smoke.
Explanation
I
say this knowing pollen is against the law, for I think it should be
legalised. By the time of the alignment we had given up smoking
pollen up here. My dad once doled it out as a reward for working
outdoors, like setting up a Republic where pollen was a currency. We
had many a fine and poetic conversation on pollen, my
brothers and I, many
an outpouring, an unspooling, including when I forewarned of
September 11th
in 2000. But as I say by the time the band came up to see the
alignment, there was no more pollen allowed in the house. This was
because of my own mental health issues which were being blamed on
drug-taking. I suppose the band were anticipating there being some
pollen when they arrived and were upset to find none, finding
instead a walk up the nation’s tallest mountain and things tending
to health.
*
Proposition
69
She
has a way with wheels.
Explanation
My
father said this to me, knowing that when he died, I would get handed
a book I wrote at seven that had to be stored in the attic all his
life. It was the one where the idea of the net was kept in “Long
Storage” to give it a chance to grow all the way round the world
and keep it free. It seems they couldn’t invent the net without
going through our house, because it is where the Plough alignment is
viable, but this was 1989. Now we have had
the
alignment itself
and
that represents the same thing in terms of “her way with wheels.”
It’s all about timing, even though t
= 0.
*
Proposition
70
The
alignment confirms that there is no time.
Explanation
It
may coincide with the socio-political sphere with exactitude but that
proves there is no time. The way the alignment didn’t happen until
the rhythm change in the White House, and then when it did happen
hung around with persistence for as long as I could observe it,
proves that as Einstein said Time is an illusion albeit a very
persistent one. If there were such a thing as Time, maybe the
alignment would happen with a more regular rate and frequency. But
truly, with the alignment, we are dealing with the timeless realm,
and that includes Eternity being Now and Now and Now. So in the
alignment we see the timeless sphere bulging into the temporal
sphere, like a reminder of Infinity. One’s daily activities, or
nightly activities, like watching TV or having a cup of tea, suddenly
go on with the backdrop of Elephant Night. The alignment is a portal
to the Infinite.
*
Proposition
71
The
problem with writing about the alignment is that one would always
expect it to be more than mere words and to be better words too.
Explanation
You
might expect, if someone was “doing the alignment,” that the
document would be the Third Testament, The Unified Field Theory, the
British Constitution, or the cure for cancer. To make a paper about
it that just “seems intelligent” may not be enough, may be but an
echo of a great thing, clinging on to it after it has gone.
And
so we don’t know what the alignment means but live in the hope that
we will see you soon.
And
as
you can see I was the seer, and I don’t need much more than fresh
sea air.
*
Proposition
72
Infinity
is to space as Eternity is to time.
Explanation
The
words for “Infinity” and for “Eternity” pre-exist Einstein’s
mergence of space and time into the spacetime continuum. In terms of
space there is no such thing as “almost infinite;” in terms of
time, Eternity is Now and Now and Now. Yet in a post-Einsteinian
world, the distinction is no longer valid. I
wonder also of Chaos and Order after the Plough alignment. To merge
them would be a mistake, I feel. That
is, we can’t just undo the presupposed binary opposition of Chaos
and Order. It backdates to the Greeks, to Dionysus and Apollo. But
certainly the opposition of space and time can be undone, and the
alignment may be the convergence of the infinite and the eternal into
a singular image.
*
Proposition
73
The
alignment may pave the way for new knowledge.
Explanation
A
new epistemology might be gained from it. But there don’t seem many
original ideas in the world. As stated the tail end of the node about
a mother’s bond with her child feels right if unfalsifiable: it was
6. 58 and 37 seconds so we all ran as fast as we could towards the
sofa. But the idea is not original, dating back to Hawking and
further to a poem by Geoffrey Hill called ‘The Assisi Fragments.’
If that was my seven year old “node,” there were certainly others
too. An interesting situation occurred when I was sixteen: I proved
the face of stars with the first verse of the first song of my first
gig. But the line belongs to the house – so some say after all
these years I should be made to be Anon with it. Still, if you take
it away from me it makes the face of stars a regrettable event. More
original than that line about the ocean is the idea of my University
days: that I. T. might stand for Instant Travel too. Also that Lucy
in the soul w/ demons may happen to be an actual substance is another
one. But
Flora’s system is not mine and Will Fenn’s notion about Hollidot
not mine either. The idea that there is no such thing as the Nirvana
barcode, meanwhile, might date back as far as the front cover of
Nirvana’s classic album Nevermind,
or even further.
*
Proposition
74
If
you seek the new Einstein you’d be better off looking to my brother
than to me.
Explanation
It’s
not quite Einstein but as
I have stated elsewhere in my work James
designed the sheet where pictures, pictures seemingly depicting my
own song lyric, grew. He also says <BEE> might soon ensue from
@ in the international language alphabet and I like that. I like it
because to me it seems an original idea which I had not encountered
until in the doodles and daydreams of my bother. As for me I can
think of only two occasions where I was Einsteinian and they are as
follows:
(1)
when I looked for the equation for the ratio between lightspeed
falling and Gravity pulling down on my brother’s sheet where
pictures grew I decided “c over G” might be “backward f,
forward f, equals running through.”
(2)
when I was writing my boyhood book, and after we had taken care of
Einstein’s E, I put a plus sign for the f in the line: “I have a
scar+ that is red and black;” and then continued to count upwards.
Other
than these and maybe the bet on Sameness w/r/t/ attaining the face, I
can’t think of much in my own work that is Einsteinian. Of course
my brother hasn’t seen the alignment so can only leave it up to me,
not to package and sell it, but to try and learn something about the
universe with a neutral eye.
*
Proposition
75
I
suppose for the alignment to have its full power you have to be
surprised to see it there.
Explanation
I
told you in my prescient speech in the barn I predicted an alignment
but said “maybe in India.” If I had known in advance it would be
my own back garden, it might not have worked. I still think you might
get an even more philosophically beautiful paper about the alignment
of the Plough and the Himalayas, because that way there would be no
alignment, just as the time ten to eight has no specific meaning. I
can’t think how I was supposed to find out about the alignment in
advance and don’t think I was supposed to. I still don’t know if
the same thing happened to my father before me, or when the last
alignment was. I
think back to other occasions like the end of Apartheid or before it
the blacks being allowed to vote or before it to the abolishing of
slavery. Who knows if the alignment coincided with these things? Who
knows when it will next happen? When
I was a child my father’s Asian-extract friend came up to stay with
his young sons and when they arrived, the sons started running around
the house. I wondered why and did not know and found out recently
that all those years ago they already knew it was the Plough
alignment house. Why my dad didn’t tell me I have no idea except he
did say he wanted to leave me to find out things for myself.
*
Proposition
76
The
alignment needn’t be a black-only celebration.
Explanation
All
colours and creeds can join in. It just so happens that it coincided
with a rhythm change in the White House, in my lifetime, but that’s
a celebratory moment for more than just black people. There might’ve
been other occasions in history where the alignment sealed victory
that were not black only, and there might be events to come that are
not black only. I look forward to seeing it again. Something done
once is already a habit. But the smell of a curry is one unrepeatable
process.
*
Proposition
77
The
alignment is not the triumph of either the right or the left
exclusively and absolutely.
Explanation
Indeed,
as for it being for all colours and creeds, so it is also that the
alignment is not the triumph of the right, nor the triumph of the
left against one another, but the unification of Man under one Night.
Therein the magnetism of the heart comes into play more than the IQ.
Nobody is any more intelligent than anyone else. What the alignment
seems to suggest is that we are all of one mind. Who
the PM was at the time I can’t remember – it was either the end
of Gordon Brown or the beginning of David Cameron but we must look
beyond petty rivalries, snobbery and inverse snobbery, class
prejudice, the personal civil war being fought by each. We
must look beyond to the Heavens, to the Gods, to the stars and start
asking big questions, and loving one another again, and showing
compassion, and understanding, and love.
*
Proposition
78
The
alignment stays in place, even though the earth is turning, for long
enough to have meant the constellations should’ve revolved.
Explanation
I
have no explanation for this and for that matter the idea of
following a proposition with an explanation is weak, not just because
it only shows I have been reading Spinoza but because you can’t
just “explain away” certain events, especially cosmicomic events.
The present proposition might indicate, however, that the alignment
is synthetic, that there is something unreal about it, that the laws
of physics are suspended when it happens. I don’t believe this was
the case, that it was “fudged” or “manipulated.” I just know
it fitted into place like the
last piece of a jigsaw.
And I wonder if having collectively put it there, if that is what
happened, there was then a further effort needed to get it out again.
This I missed, both in terms of plugging in and unplugging again but
can say “elephant night” is an image from my seven year old
science book, and that “plugging my senses in the mains” is an
image from my Gap Year band who recorded on binaural earphones – if
that is you should wish to see little bits of my part to play in the
collective effort – and as stated I only imagine there is a
collective, concerted effort, for have never discussed it with
anyone. I
suppose, even though it’s not artificial, if we, collectively, as a
species, wanted it to happen again, we could. But at the same time
this is a private residence, as the Dude in the film The
Big Lebowski
says, even if from time to time I am called upon to make
observations. If
I didn’t and indeed couldn’t know about the proximity of the
alignment to my backgarden until it happened, and others knew from
early boyhood I would possibly have a lot of catching up to do. So I
also wonder what it would be like to write of the alignment from
miles away, like London. Could it be that the alignment is “out of
sight out of mind” unto the powers that be, like the whole area?
Voices on magic alphabet radio now allowed to take part have just
said “you shouldn’t write about the alignment apart from when you
are far away.” Further voices say it is good that I chose the
alignment to write about. I suppose
it’s
like the moment in the movie Indiana
Jones
where he has to guess which of the cups is the one Jesus drank from,
and in among the opulent and ornate and adorned gold chalices, the
correct endorsement is the humble, wooden cup.

No comments:
Post a Comment