NOTE ON OEDIPUS WRECKS
My friend Dr. Calculator Ptom named the band upon hearing my songs at school. He used to say gnomic things like “the universe is a projection of the mind.” “The G note is green on the guitar fretboard.” “Born Slippy is evidence dance can have a soul.” “Poetry is untranslatable because of the music.” “I was doing some thinking and realised Death is God.” “Early Oasis is good for bittersweet, comedown energy.” We boarded a train not knowing where it was headed in the middle of the Night in London. By now he is Dr. Calculator Thomas and the song is ‘Born Slippery.’
THE OEDIPUS WRECKS GIG, CAMDEN TOWN, CIRCA 1998
I
OCEANS SMILE
Oceans smile with liquid eyes
and fill themselves with rain.
The tide goes out and leaves me
lost, the last thing a glass gene.
Follow me to the resurrection
while the blind get crucified.
My weapon’s only loaded in my eyes.
Death will come on silky wings
but I for one will not go.
A soul is endless, oceans open
and keeeeeeeps a perfect O.
Follow me to the resurrection
while the blind get crucified.
My weapon’s only loaded in my eyes.
Go drink the ocean with your tea
cup, give your heart far out.
If it’s true what oceans do
then they'll give you a shout.
Follow me to the resurrection
while the blind get crucified.
My weapon’s only loaded in my eyes.
Too drunkenly I sail the water
on Rimbaud’s smoking boat.
With whiskygills primed in fire
I sail the waves to Boot.
Follow me to the resurrection
while the blind get crucified.
My weapon’s only loaded in my eyes.
(reconstructed
via the new, synchronised word)
II
KILL
My eyes sting,
my teeth are bleeding raw,
too much thought
to make me sick.
Stinky clothes
and mouth become
my skin and all
these fruits I want to kill.
Give my hope,
surrender to the tide,
you can take
my remains;
but I must go,
to wash the poison
from my eyes,
before, before, before I kill.
III
SNAKE SNAKE BUTTERFLY
Snake snake butterfly, lay me dead & close my eyes.
Angel serpentine, she waits on the Other Side.
Give me your alibi; give me chains to stop me fly;
give me night to soothe my blinded eyes:
so I can see the secrets of the skies.
We must rise, freedom falling from our eyes,
unlock doors, it's a perfect time to die,
and it's okay ‘cause baby we'll go insane
but don't reach out too far for the flame.
Snake snake butterfly, lead me to the Other Side.
Angel serpentine, she waits on the Other Side.
IV
SECRETS
IN THE MUD
This
is the sound of getting totally fucked.
Of
when
you first get your notebook
sucked.
Of
changing gold into Glastonbury mud.
Of
lying
down in a field
with your
bud.
This
is the music
through whom we aspire.
This
is the rule book that is thrown
on the fire.
This
is the jam where the
trousers
are down.
This
is the wine-shop on the edge of town.
Chorus:
Glastonbury,
you
should
be free,
and all you have in your big city,
you
hit my G, you make me see how I want to see,
lights
go down, lights come on,
and
all my sadness seems to be gone,
although
I still
love
to be what I dream I am.
[guitar solo]
V
VITAL SIGNS
Smile like a smile just to smile,
cast to Heaven for a while...
let's rip holes in the boat,
throw the captain overboard,
throw the angels off the bridge,
death comes and stops me getting
bored of life's soul-machine.
What we need is energy,
show me all your vital signs,
what we steal is what we need,
what we need to feel alive,
for I'm alive with vital signs.
Back to Hell to plunder wings,
let the ritual now begin,
come and ride the waiting beast,
ride it gone into the fire,
ride it to the waiting feast,
my baby's waiting to get higher,
to get higher, to get higher...
what we need is energy,
show me all your vital signs,
what we steal is what we need,
what we need to feel alive,
for I'm alive with vital signs,
yeah feel alive with vital signs.
Come again there's lots to do,
don't you know that I love you?
VI
HEAVEN
KNOWS
Heaven
knows and walks away -
but
what it knows it will not say.
It’s
impossible to make
a cowboy film in space?
Heaven
knows and turns its face!
Heaven’s
filled with silver eyes.
Heaven’s
hills all harmonise.
I
hear its angels when they call...
Heaven
knows and lets them fall!
[reconstructed]
VII
MOTHER IS DEAD
Fuck this, fuck that, fuck me yeah,
I wish that I had been there,
been there to saaaaaave Jesus,
I'm sure he meant to please us.
Mother is dead,
mother is dead,
mother is dead.
We're young and filled with semen,
we're going to break some hymen,
we'll make the cops turn in their badges,
we're going over all the edges yeah.
Mother is dead,
mother is dead,
mother is dead.
VIII
THE GHOSTS LAMENT (THE GUZZLER MEN)
I'm the only one left, left to shoot my
own gun. This is the dead land. Crack a smile
and curse the sun. Death awaits to fuck me.
Give me bliss and give me kisses. Death a-
waits to save me. The ghosts lament, the ghosts
lament. Come on baaaaaaaaaby, you know it's e-
asy, don't say maaaaaaaaaybe, let's go crazy. Death
awaits to fuck me. Give me bliss and give
me kisses. Death awaits the same me. The
ghosts lament, the ghosts lament, no more ghosts.
||||.
[Note:
when years
later I
discovered the James
P D Tucker sheet
where pictures grew, and the pictures seemed to depict the lyric to
one of my old songs, this is the song.]
TELEPATHY
HAS BEEN PROVEN
Once
upon a time,
an
interlocutor, possibly
meaning my old friend and bloodbrother the philosopher Dr. Calculator
Ptom, picked
up my hands while I was at the screen in
a different part of the country and
got me to type:
He
found himself on a plane.
He
found himself on a.
He
found himself on.
He
found himself.
He
found.
P.
But
what “P” means we do not know. Wittgenstein for example would
say:
P
= ~ ~ P.
I
later heard it said that the wing-shaped calligramme
is
the only good bit in the whole of my oeuvre, and whilst I contest
this, it might still be true, depending on your hermeneutic autonomy
and subjective taste.
My
point, which I left out so far, is that I
would say that the wing-bit is still mine own, in the sense that if
you hear voices they are your own thoughts, and if you write them
down you needn’t become Anon, thankfully. I
imagine Dr. Calculator Ptom feeling (if only a little bit) peeved off
that the calligramme is mine, but being a Liberalist essentially, he
would I am sure retain good humour about it.

No comments:
Post a Comment