Sunday, 23 August 2026

THE ALIGNMENT




[only a partial alignment in the photo, captured on my new Google phone]




THE ALIGNMENT


Proposition 1


What some call Order in the universe others call God, but they are one and the same.


Explanation


Having attested to the alignment of the Plough and the oldest fell Black Combe, only to coincide with a rhythm change in the White House during my lifetime, I asked myself whether the alignment indicated Order or Chaos in the universe. The argument for Order was that the alignment only coincided with a rhythm change in the White House, so backed up that idea that the Enlightenment is the simultaneous astrological and sociological de-centering of Man, and the White House its child in terms of both philosophy and build. It is easy to see how one might consider the alignment indicating Order; but Chaos is a different matter. The argument for Chaos is that the alignment would happen with greater regularity if it were a clocktick universe, rather than simply “when we want it to happen.” Still, the correct endorsement turned out to be Order, for there are cosmological events that only happen once every few thousand years or so. So having determined that the alignment indicates Order in the Universe the next step was to recognise that in this case Order in the Universe is synonymous with God.



*


Proposition 2


Metaphysics is the place where science and religion meet.


Explanation


The scientific mode or even “tone of mind” would be to call it Order in the universe; and the religious mode or “tone of mind” would be to call it God – and as shown they can be synonymous with one another. Therefore metaphysics is the place where science and religion meet. Q. E. D.



*


Proposition 3


If God is synonymous with Order in the Universe, it follows that God is not extrinsic to matter.


Explanation


This view might be trendy at the moment, as scientists at C. E. R. N. hunt for the God Particle, which has been labelled a daft misnomer by others still who tend to believe that God is perfect and matter is error. The belief, though, that God is not extrinsic to matter dates back at least as far as Spinoza, for whom there was no substance that wasn’t part of God. The counter argument is that the alignment is not God itself but a mere example of a state of Order in the universe that is itself not visible and is synonymous with God.



*


Proposition 4


If the alignment is perfect, God is perfect too.


Explanation


We already know that by definition God is perfect and the alignment does not necessarily let us stare at the perfection that is God but merely signifies the Order in the whole universe at large that is synonymous with God. To stare at the alignment is not to be let down about the perfection of God, but God is more than the alignment itself.



*



Proposition 5


It is not the alignment itself but the Order in the universe which it indicates which is synonymous with God.


Explanation


Here we seem to be slightly tautological. I have been teasing this point out. At the moment of the alignment, which lasted for a good, few nights, there were other things going on in the world of simultaneity, synchronicity and syncretism and these were also connected into the same scope of Order as the alignment. God is the overall picture and the alignment an example by which we can measure the Order.



*



Proposition 6


It is good to get to the root of one’s own beliefs but you must understand the way it seems is that necessarily all belief-systems are woven in to this religious stance by the alignment, even atheism.


Explanation


In the alignment, we see that atheism and theism lose their polarities. The Order in the universe would be what an atheist makes of it, and even if that is all he believes in, as shown it is synonymous with God, and can be just the same as what a religious person would take from the event. An atheist and a theist can in all likelihood agree, and only agree, on the matter of our Plough alignment. The alignment factors all faiths into its happening, like the goal of syncretism, almost attesting to that notion that Blissful Lovingness is where all religions meet. Rather than different religions connecting though, it is even more startling that religion and science agree, and religion and atheism agree in the event of the alignment.



*


Proposition 7


Because the alignment is about one-ness, it is possible to use it to undermine and undo presupposed binary oppositions in arguments.


Explanation


We have seen how science and religion can be a binary undone, also how even theism and atheism can be undone. This is propitiated by the basic principle that Order in the universe, which can be appreciated by science or atheism too, is synonymous with the idea of God when it comes to the alignment.



*


Proposition 8


If Order in the universe is synonymous with God, we are all one and our differences reconciled.


Explanation


If an atheistic scientist recognises Order in the universe in the event of the alignment, and a Deist believes the alignment a manifestation of God’s work, then they essentially agree on the same thing if it is true that order in the universe is synonymous with God, and are but calling the same thing by two different names.



*


Proposition 9


If the alignment is not God itself but just an example of Order in the universe which is synonymous with God, it may not be the case that God is not extrinsic to matter.


Explanation


If the alignment were God manifested, it would be a God of atoms, stars, particles et al, but seeing as the alignment is indicative of a sense of Order in the Universe that stretches beyond the alignment itself, and which we are saying is synonymous with God, God might be the underlying, organisational principle and still retain exemption from the condition of matter.



*


Proposition 10


That Order in the universe and God are two different names for the same thing creates common ground between science and religion, also atheism and religion.


Explanation


This point reiterates previous points. It shows that in practice what science may call Order in the universe, religion may call God, and despite their seeming to not agree, they could be one and the same thing, under different appellations.



*


Proposition 11


It may be magnetism that underlies the variability of belief when it comes to the matter of the alignment.


Explanation


Maybe, we are all but iron filings firked to the moon in the same way and our differences are differences created by language being stubborn and awkward. When I say we all agree that the alignment is the alignment, it makes my home the magnetic, telluric and gravitational foot. It endorses the yellow, McDonalds ‘M’ in the word “them” in the advert. It could be that magnetism unites us where words keep us separated, and the event of the alignment could be an essentially magnetic event in and of itself on a scientific level. So it is that we could be all stardust, all helplessly and involuntarily charged in a magnetic way. Different fields of language, to use David Morley’s phrase, could also be underlined by a common principle when it comes to magnetism. The magnetism of the stars, the magnetism of the oldest rock, could be the same magnetism, and people part of it too.



*


Proposition 12


The alignment and its inherent magnetism has the ability to turn a staunch atheist into an agnostic.


Explanation


It barely needs explaining that the observation of the alignment is so sublime, even terrifying, that it truly becomes a good use of the word “awesome” and has the power to change the polarity or the charge of an atheist into something like an agnostic or even more. Even an atheist who saw it would remark at the stunning sublimity of it, and the coincidence with the rhythm change in the White House too; and it might suddenly strike the atheist that God might really exist after all, because the atheist would glimpse a sense of Order in the universe that he had previously never considered, it being bigger than one man’s brain. The atheist may have empirical science behind him not believing in a man in the clouds, but the same empiricism would lend the atheist towards a more religious or at least agnostic stance if with his own eyes he perceived the Plough alignment.



*


Proposition 13


It does not diminish God to have him equate to Order in the universe, nor muddy up and make dogmatic religion of science to have Order in the universe equate to God.


Explanation


To mention Order in the Universe might make a religious person contemplate nothing but the cold, black, vacuity of space, which is seen as Godless in science, and to mention God to a scientist might have stigma for the scientist too, but truly in the alignment I can see nothing other than the point of Order in the universe becoming synonymous with God. It does not diminish God to call him Order in the Universe for this backdates to the Bible and is not a new, scientific notion at loggerheads with religion but old. Traditionally God created the world from chaos; and therefore my documenting the alignment takes on the role of rewriting Genesis to a partial extent. Still, I can see how a top scientist, wishing to find something out would be frustrated if God was the only answer and he was not allowed to go any further, ask any further questions.



*


Proposition 14


The universe may just be a very elegant place.


Explanation


The universe may be elegant but whether it is designed by God or not we do not know. There are said to be three arguments for God in philosophy: the ontological, the teleological and the cosmological. My argument is that at some level the Order in the Universe which an atheistic scientist believes in is synonymous with God, the same thing but seen through different eyes, expressed with a different name. The scientist and the theist could be working on the same problem, onto the same thing, albeit in different disguises, disguises which are superficial, while underlying it all we find the same magnetism, which also ties in with the same instinct on a human level.



*



Proposition 15


The alignment doesn’t prove God but it does prove Order in the universe.


Explanation


The alignment doesn’t make the Bible stories literal. It doesn’t mean we have captured a square of blue sky and examined it for evidence of God and found it. To those that don’t naturally believe in God it only proves Order in the mechanical operation of the Universe in which man finds himself. It proves also that the sociological and the astrological realms are connected. To some though that is enough for a redefinition of what the word “God” means or should mean. It means, as stated, that there is an Order in the universe that is beyond our control – for surely the alignment was not down to human manipulation of the stars – and that the Order is elegant, and the universe therefore benign. These things that are proven are as stated enough for a God, a redefinition of God, for me, as a personal belief.



*


Proposition 16


If the alignment recurred tomorrow night, without anything significant to coincide with in the socio-political sphere, this argument would not be invalid.


Explanation


This is because what has happened has happened and we cannot change the facts. It may make me look a bit ridiculous if only now I am bringing this paper together and the next day the alignment recurs for nothing special, no good reason, but I would still say Order in the universe is the atheist’s God, and a scientific description – or even equivalent – of a theist’s divinity. It would also surprise me if the alignment did recur tomorrow. But I have become convinced that what astro-physics labels Order in the universe and what Christianity calls the Divine Being represents a false dichotomy. That is the point.



*



Proposition 17


After a while of talking about the alignment directly, one starts to wonder if the whole conversation should be hidden or else abandoned.


Explanation


It seems like wearing clothes out of the shame of one’s body being naked; but in the case of the alignment and talking about it, it is the shame associated with the Sin of Consciousness. So we reach a point where the prelapsarian event of writing, which is freedom, becomes changed. To liken this change of mood and tone of mind to the Fall of Man is another step.




*


Proposition 18


Speaking of the alignment directly might offend like sacrilege or blasphemy.


Explanation


Indeed, this consolidates the sense of the divine nature of this event, this theophany, where it is not just about awe but possibly law too. If it is rude to stare, I was rude. If it is blasphemous or sacrilegious I was that. If God cannot be seen with the naked eye, the work of God can still be seen with the naked eye. Unless that is you deem it the work of, say, cosmic silence, in which case I would reiterate my point about the false dichotomy between God and the idea of Order in the universe.



*


Proposition 19


The alignment is an object of worship that transcends difference and also underlies the variability of religious beliefs.


Explanation


To see the alignment is to be taken in by a religious event. The religion itself, as in what religion you are, does not matter. The alignment makes sense whatever religion you are, whatever colour or creed. It is so sacred that some people, from a distance, without seeing it, hide it under the name “white eyebrow.” It is not inconceivable that it is the main focal point of an international religion all the way round the world. A Rastafarian and a Jew and a Christian could all be equally awe-struck by the alignment, which is almost like saying we are equal in the eyes of God, and almost like the idea that these different faiths share a common perception of God, which I have argued is the same as the idea of Order in the universe.



*


Proposition 20


The alignment is evidence that Nature is the true architecture of State.


Explanation


Indeed, I was just thinking about Wordsworth who sought passage to the divine through the medium of Mother Nature, when I stumbled on this old aphorism, this axiomatic truth. It is the connection between the astrological event of the alignment and the socio-political sphere that makes this axiom ring true to me. Still, it feels right-wing compared with the exploration of the Future State, and maybe therein you have the essential difference between the Right and the Left.



*


Proposition 21


Even though the alignment is only really visible from this private property, we can’t affect it to happen.


Explanation


Indeed its being affected to happen is something beyond my knowledge as well as control. If there is manipulation, I cannot tell who by or where. I cannot tell if the alignment arrives top-down from the State or bottom-up from the farmers who plough the land. It being the Plough alignment, one would presume it might be the farmers… farming was the most noble profession unto the Ancient Greeks. Wordsworth too, who sought the thoughts of the highest man in the words of the common man, thought that the working class, the peasant class, had stronger moral fibre than the higher classes. The alignment also includes the plight of the blacks… I was once thanked for what I did for the blacks, even though I did little except host the alignment. My friends came up from the south after quite a few nights of it and attested to it; then we went off on a camping trip in the Lakes and that was the last I saw of the alignment. What would’ve happened had we walked up Black Combe instead of the camping trip I do not know. And ultimately, when it aligns, who else can you thank but God?



*


Proposition 22


God might exist on a mathematical plane without knowing of our existence.


Explanation


I confess I read this online somewhere but have long since been interested in the idea that answers to the divine will arrive in maths. My father read Philosophy at the LSE in the 1960’s and went there seeking answers to the divine but found instead the philosophy of science. I have looked into the idea of a number sequence that leads to Heaven in my own writing. Ascending the fell I consider that Heaven is a pile of statistics no-one will ever see – for I would seek to know if I have taken more steps up the fell than any other – and reason that I will never find out. But as for the proposition, it is but one of many concepts of God. Aristotle’s God was “thought thinking on itself.” For others God is but a stopped, glottal monosyllable. For others God is used to fill holes in arguments. For others God is not to worship in blind, dogmatic slumber but to behead, dethrone and become. For others God is but a vain projection to cover up our fear of Nothingness. To others we don’t deserve a God, are but monkeys with bigger brains and more dextrous fingers. And yet to those who speak against God in such ways, I ask what do you make of the alignment then? It doesn’t strike me as random-ness and chance.



*


Proposition 23


One is free to dismiss anything I say about the alignment because one has the Right to Freedom of Religious Belief.


Explanation


It scarcely needs me saying that I am guessing with all this, for academia proceeds by guesswork. It is not intended as a dogmatic creed. It is not intended to be stamped on the hearts and minds of humanity. Should you disagree with my thinking on my feet in such a way you are free to form your own opinions. For example one of our nearest neighbours lives at Fell Brow which is further up the fell and looks out from it rather than up at it, and the person from Fell Brow dismisses the validity of the alignment because it can’t be seen to come together from his house. I can only report from the gravitational, magnetic and telluric foot, where the Plough alignment is uniquely viable and visible. You find the footpath up the fell begins here on our land, in the Combe field which is a museum of a field, retaining a furrowed, rippled look from old-fashioned ploughing technology of agrarian golden ages of yore. It is in that field where the alignment really works best in terms of visibility.



*


Proposition 24


You cannot separate a religion from its indigenous landscape.


Explanation


Indeed one of my favourite novels from when I was growing up, The Buddha of Suburbia by Hanif Kureishi, seems to posit a religion in a different place from where it arose, and the difficulties inherent in that. Clearly though, what they mean when they say you cannot remove a religion from its indigenous landscape comes clear to you at the alignment. The alignment makes it all make sense, the indigenous wisdom of the saying. It’s the first time you see the landscape in a religious light. It connects the stars and the farm land.



*


Proposition 25


At the alignment the main event was in the White House.


Explanation


My father didn’t even acknowledge the alignment, preferring to stay indoors and watch the inaugural speech of Mr. Obama whom they called “the poet” on telly. For dad that was the main event and anything in the cosmicomic sphere was trivial compared with it. I remember in 1997 when we still had a second house in London, he told me there was probably going to be a rhythm change in the White House during my lifetime, and he was right. He would’ve said the poet’s democratic election was the main event and not the Plough alignment. Still there were people I knew among my southern friends, musicians mainly, that foresaw the stars coming into alignment before they foresaw the democratic election of the poet. I suppose as momentum gathered they became one and the same goal. I suppose the alignment showed that America is still the policeman of the world, but derives its Enlightenment values from Britain.



*


Proposition 26


There is a seer’s trance associated with the oldest fell.


Explanation


The foothill of Black Combe, Sea Ness, was once upon a time, according to a white witch who proof-read for Norman Nicholson, named Seer Ness after a seer and his trance. Someone said the seer was St. Patrick but it hasn’t been confirmed. I am now known as a seer by the locals… I envisioned the net and was the witness from The Lords And The New Creatures too as a boy, attained the face of stars in adolescence, foresaw the future on many fronts in 2000, including forewarning of September 11th, attested to the white eyebrow in 2008 and even more recently attained visual radio in the perceptual kingdom of the individual. What place there is for a visionary in modern society is not known, in terms of whether a visionary is still needed or not, only that you shouldn’t expect to be paid for your visionary activity. It might be the case that my geographical position is what accounts for a history of visionary activity, such as the idea that September 11th had to go through me as a schoolboy because I live in the house where the Plough alignment is uniquely viable.



*


Proposition 27


The Plough can come back to confirm the geometry and the dimensions without actually aligning.


Explanation


Indeed, the Plough has been back to confirm the geometry and dimensions, but hovered above the socket, without actually being plugged in. I captured it also on my new Smartphone, in a state of partial but not complete alignment. We can do this again, and it likely will happen again but whether or not it will be in my lifetime I do not know. There may need to be a great event in the socio-political sphere. It may need to be a coincidence, in the truest sense of two incidents coinciding. You notice last time it coincided with an American political event… it is not certain whether or not it can coincide with an English political event. So far it has only been a partial alignment for various events in England.



*


Proposition 28


Out of many things, the alignment is said to be the only one that augurs well for good sanity.


Explanation


This one isn’t my own proposition, but is the comment of Mr. Mark Velarde to a long paragraph I sent him containing some information about what I had been through. I hesitate to replicate it herein because I might wish to employ encryption, delight in a wilful opacity. Still, it warrants noting that the Plough alignment does augur well for good sanity, unlike, say, much of the other things I got up to and went through in my life. If I told you what they were it might cause problems.



*


Proposition 29


The universe is a very mysterious place.


Explanation


Indeed when my old band came up to attest to the alignment and we spoke of God in the camper van, I mentioned that “mystery will remain a constant.” I privilege uncertainty, believe the beauty of uncertainties to be the only Absolute, believe that there is indeterminacy at the core of all things, believe that what science calls indeterminacy art calls Undecidability, that they are the same thing just one for the world of matter the other the subjective realm, believe that Keats was right with his utterance on Negative Capability, believe that to end on a note of radical incertitude is to end in the dark which is nourishing for the soul. In short Uncertainty prevails. But the alignment points towards answers because it points towards God’s benevolence, if you believe in God. I for one know that I don’t know, but have taken to reconciling dichotomous entities via the alignment.



*


Proposition 30


What gets you most about the alignment is the silence.


Explanation


Indeed it is very silent for something so magnificent and of such immensity. The whole universe is the same. There is more sound in me walking round the kitchen in a circle than in the black vacuity of space, because no sound travels in a vacuum. So the great, hulking, mammoth universe is surprisingly quiet when it falls at your feet. As quiet as a gilly flower curtseying like a delicate ballerina. So it is false to then call the alignment a chord, like a secret chord Y, because it is silent and makes no sound.


*


Proposition 31


Every planet has its own colour and ‘Calliope’ means “beautiful face.”


Explanation


Now that we are on to cosmic blues it bears noting that Every planet has its own colour and also that Calliope means “beautiful face” in Ancient Greek. These would be my two, mangled hands if I were playing the piano up in the Alps. It’s better than saying “Every atom ate our eyes” which is simply not true. The latter came from taking too much LSD with Paul at the solar eclipse, and was in fact written during the eclipse itself. There’s also “Blessed is peace as blessed is ‘FUCK!’” which comes from a poem called ‘An Inward Prayer’ and again turns the aural into the visual it being about concealing the face of stars. These were my former mangled hands, and were supposed to be the rudimentary music theory for the sheet where pictures grew but to say “Every planet has its own colour” and “‘Calliope’ means “beautiful face” in Greek,” is better because truthful. The job of philosophy is all about finding out the truth after all.



*


Proposition 32


The alignment is not a vision as such.


Explanation


It could conceivably and potentially at least be described as a theophany which is an epiphany that reveals the Lord; but it is not a vision. To call it a vision would be to dismiss it to being transient, or privileged, whereas it was proven all you needed to do was stand in the garden here at the foot of the fell to be able to see it; and no it was not a vagary of perception, nor a vision in any sense of the word except that Martin Luther King sense of “I have a dream,” and that dream coming true.


*


Proposition 33


Vision is demarcated from mere wild hallucination by it containing a revelation of the divine.


Explanation


I have written at greater length about this elsewhere and so needn’t repeat myself, only note that this proposition means vision has been indoctrinated by the Church, who only brand Nature as evil.



*


Proposition 34


Apart from the alignment this is nowhere.


Explanation


There is no neighbourhood; there are no amenities; there is nowhere to go if you don’t have a car. My father described this place as a monastic retreat and a spiritual tonic, a good place to come to get a piece of writing done. He said we were out of sight out of mind to the powers that be. Equidistant we’ve got Sellafield up the coast and the nuclear submarine factory down the coast but in-between there’s nothing for miles. Even if I could work, which I can’t on account of Stress being the arch-enemy of mental illness, there is no job for miles. Here, you are really stuck without a car. You have to gain freedom from accepting limitation, that freedom that the visionary still knows when in his cell.



*


Proposition 35


There’s no such thing as “almost infinite.”


Explanation


This proposition could be regarded as a counter to those that say “there is no immutable truth.” Poets often think history is malleable, selfhood mythology, all writing fiction, and that there is no immutable truth. But Bertrand Russell points out in History of Western Philosophy that a philosopher may regard truth as being timeless and eternal, fixed and static, or at least believe in a type of truth that is so. The idea that there’s no such thing as almost infinite seems to my meagre mind to exemplify that philosophic truth, seems evidence that some truth is immutable. But I might be wrong.



*


Proposition 36


It may mean mayhem to consider that it’s all contained in the word for “mother.”


Explanation


Well, Henry Miller talks of the “ovarian shopping trolley.” I would take this to mean the Plough. But I don’t remember anything else from the Miller. The alignment is exquisite for something as commonplace as the word for “mother.”



*



Proposition 37


It’s also what Leonard Cohen means when he says “I thought you knew where all the elephants lie down.”


Explanation


Another cultural reference, this time the sung poetry of Leonard Cohen. I quoted the line to my gf once upon a time whom it seems wanted to meet up in dreams. Years later, after we had split, she came round. By this stage we both knew – that “unreal world” as she called it, the other side of the gate that leads to the fell, is the place where all the elephants lie down.



*


Proposition 38


The alignment was also foreshadowed by a Gomez album called Abandoned Shopping Trolley.


Explanation


Indeed, at the event itself, when my old band fell up north in a camper van and first filed out into the northern night, and I said there’s something you’ve got to see, I advertised the Plough as “the abandoned shopping trolley from the Gomez album of that name.” It was just like normal speech, there were no airs and graces, there was no great Unified Theory of Everything following on for any of us – but that may not be final.


*


Proposition 39


I have said it before but the working equation for the alignment might be the way the qwerty keyboard ends on M.


Explanation


There would thus be the gravitational pull of the oldest fell written into the digital network of computing. The magnetism of the alignment would be inherent in the way we now write at a screen. What I mean is when it comes to the alignment, the occasion IS the equation.


*


Proposition 40


The alignment can reveal to you that you don’t know your own belief system yet.


Explanation


Indeed, I wasn’t sure what I believed in. In the conversation in the camper van about God the rest of the band seemed convinced one way or the other but I seemed to endorse a third party, saying (as stated) that mystery will remain a constant. Please see Proposition 29 for more on that.



*



Proposition 41


The face of stars was a vision but the alignment not.


Explanation


The face of stars was a true vision for being observable by three gathered in the name as Jesus said but was also propitiated by Rimbaudian derangement, for Rimbaud said “the poet makes himself a visionary through a prodigious derangement of the senses to attain the unknown” – and we three gathered in the name had shared a spliff of pollen before the face. It was therefore true vision and derangement at the same time. The Plough meanwhile was more than a vision even though it did arguably at least contain divinity, and it was not born of the derangement of the senses to attain the unknown (as far as I know).



*



Proposition 42


As Blake said the nature of visionary fancy is very little understood.


Explanation


As stated in Proposition 33, vision is traditionally demarcated from mere hallucination by containing a revelation of the divine. Blake was said to be a true visionary for breakfasting with angels and seeing the sun as Holy. Allen Ginsberg was visited by the ghost of Blake who taught Ginsberg the notes to the Songs of Innocence And Experience, and was deemed insane for it because there was no divinity. With Rimbaud people go both ways – some think him a visionary for being able to look at a factory and see a mosque, others think him all about mere wild hallucination. If the alignment was not a vision, nor wild hallucination born of derangement, it must be something else.



*


Proposition 43


With the Plough alignment the object of vision is perfect in geometry and proportion.


Explanation


Indeed it could be said to be “to the inch.” It therefore points to answers. It says the science works. It justifies a belief in progress even if it is the same milestone over and again. You could say it was an angel in its divine proportions. You could say it is the sum of all difference connected. You could say it shows life is mystery more than muddle. You could say the big mystery is whether or not the shapes involved – the oldest fell, glaciated and striated over thousands of years – and the Plough – are so exactly fitting out of chance or design. And to be honest the universe looks so much like it has been designed intelligently with the alignment that I almost forgive my father for bringing us up to believe in God.


*


Proposition 44


In the camper van at the alignment, a song was needed.


Explanation


And indeed it didn’t really matter what song or rather whose song. I played a song by the songwriter Will Fenn called ‘Found Out’ which is a number I really like. He was a big influence on my song writing at one point when I was younger, and a friend too. I thought I should play the best song I could play and as well as I could do it too. I think the guys in the band were impressed by the Will Fenn number… even though it was a cover. I think they thought the alignment terrifying and the song I played an absolute classic albeit one not related in any way to the subject at hand, be it astrologically or socio-politically.


*


Proposition 45


There is no-one at hand to start monetising the alignment.


Explanation


The only money I ever received at the time of the alignment was when I took the band down to the Miners Arms and found a five pound note on the floor. It wasn’t payment as such but I kept it and bought myself a shot of whisky. Had it not been for that fiver I wouldn’t have had any money when the band came up.


*


Proposition 46


The alignment might spell continued freedom and equality for the blacks.


Explanation


Writing is freedom, as Martin Amis said, and freedom man’s main, psychic thread dating back to his nomadic days when he was tall, lithe and muscular. If I can’t find the freedom to write in England it is hopeless. Indeed, the alignment may have enshrined continued liberty and equality for the blacks. It may have been about the black diaspora. I’m white and I still felt the same. And I contemplate now whether or not I felt I was being shamed, when I clocked on to it first, but I don’t think I was. It was mechanistic in the divine order of things rather than indicating that one should feel ashamed. It represented Order in the great, star-crossed clock of the world. When the stars come into alignment it should be peace on earth. It should affect everyone. And to be fair it coincided with the great triumph of the human spirit that was the first, black President of America. Morrissey had a song in his solo career about how he couldn’t respect America until it had provided a President that was gay, black or female – and his wish was granted. Unto some, it really was the case that America was a right-wing nightmare, a white, protestant maelstrom, a hegemonic zone. The election of Mr. Obama was a dream come true that had been on the cards for generations – and as soon as he came in, it was all about his policies, nothing else. He was in short to be judged fairly, according to the same criteria as the rest. And what a charismatic leader he was, his catchphrase being “yes we can.” I suppose the alignment coincided because it was like resetting the clock.



*


Proposition 47


The fell’s striated way by daytime dips in the middle like dad’s baggy hammock from Afghanistan.


Explanation


The hammock in question is rusty brown like the hue of the fell in autumn and winter time. It dips in the middle. Infinity does this too – it dips in the middle where prayers are said. Sometimes I look at the fell, though, and just think “hammock.” This was particularly the case before the alignment. I am reminded now that walking on the sun there are no ups, downs, lefts or rights. Also that musical notation only reads left to right and there may be something more holistic to dream of. That sometimes in Nature I see invisible sheet music stream from right to left. But these are scattershot-logical perceptions as part of a brain-storm.



*


Proposition 48


Sticking to the alignment might be as near to a Unified Field Theory as an amateur like myself can get.


Explanation


It may seem like a narrow focus but only through the system is the system conquered. To be truthful, though, I know all too little little about how far Einstein got towards his lifetime goal of the Unified Field Theory. Still, there was a time when I recalibrated my own goal for that same end. It’s a long story that I might cut short. In short, a desire to contribute to the Unified Field Theory was engendered by life events not education. To start with, my father, as it now transpires, might’ve been sponsored by some philosophers to provide the real human witness from The Lords And The New Creatures by Jim Morrison. At seven I am said to have helped invent the net: when the idea of the net needed storing in writing in the attic at the foot of the fell in order to give it a chance to grow all round the world, it was me that wrote it. At eight I made not one but two very strange Naturalistic Observations as witness. At eleven I was marked by an experiment into the maths of the new colour. At fifteen I attained the face of stars which might’ve been scripted in the Bible. At eighteen, in 2000, I forewarned of September 11th and also wrote the highest-marked English Literature A-level exam essay in the nation at 100%. In 2000 I also prophesied the hunt for the God Particle from looking at dust in a late ray of light angling in like I were Democritus himself and yet said the alignment, to celebrate a rhythm change in the White House, could be in India as opposed to my own back garden! The idea I had for a book was called The Scientific Papers and classed as “a series of findings into itself, into the concept of art and science as a single discussion of perception.” The Towers fell in my Gap Year 2001. Some friends and I started to record an album on binaural earphones which I lately gather were even mine own idea to invent. At some point I attended Warwick University and found my tutor had just brought out The Scientific Papers. It was classed as “a series of findings into itself, into the concept of art and science writing as a single discussion of perception.” He had the extra word “writing.” So I had to recalibrate my goal and thought about The Unified Field Theory as in Einstein’s unobtained ambition and also defaced bank notes which would be more Rage Against The Machine. After some interesting work on Instant Travel, also on Lucy in the Soul W/ Demons, I left Warwick with no degree, finished off the album we recorded on earphones, saying I would “plug my senses in the mains,” attended another University in Lancaster, and then we had the alignment. The alignment was itself an item in a numinous chain that continued after the alignment. I think in Order I hosted the alignment, then got my desired First despite mental illness in the end, doing the defaced bank note thing, then spotted my name tattooed on Piper At The Gates of Dawn, built the Tower as an instrument of philosophy, worked at a numinous, purple-bleeding screen in an experiment into post-humanism, conducted an experiment into a tape with a pause where cut and resealed in the reel and discovered the sheet where pictures seemingly depicting my own song lyric grew. Even after the sheet things continued for I also falsified the Nirvana barcode and attained visual radio broadcasting dreams. Then it was time to bring out books. I brought many out but didn’t yet win with them. And now here I am, supposed to be focussing only on the alignment!



*


Proposition 49


It is not certain whether or not the alignment warps and bends the fabric of spacetime.


Explanation


I might be wrong about this, because memory is unreliable, but I remember saying to Tommo from the band I shouldn’t have a problem getting a job now that I’ve got my First Class Honours degree; and I remember that being at the Plough alignment; and I didn’t get my First until 2009; but the alignment in history happened with the democratic election of Mr. Obama in 2008. As I say I may have misremembered something there or else may be sitting on evidence that the closer you get to the alignment, the more time breaks down. It may have been the case that my First was already a dead certainty by 2008 when the band came up. Or it may be that I mentioned to Tommo that I wouldn’t have trouble getting a job at a different, later occasion, after 2009. Still, I have no way of knowing if the gravity of the alignment warps and bends the fabric of spacetime.


*


Proposition 50


The encrypted node in my seven year old book is that if the Gravity between the earth and the moon is instant and therefore enough to break light speed, a clock is still only as fast as a cheetah – but this is wrong.


Explanation


Indeed, it is wrong because Gravity has no motion therefore cannot be said to travel faster than the speed of light. Gravity, according to Einstein, simply warps and bends the fabric of spacetime. Only things with no mass can travel at light speed. These days you only need to watch a Youtube video on the topic to pick up this amount of information.



*


Proposition 51


In poetry they say there is nothing so dead as an important thing; and the alignment is important; but in philosophy it may be the case that it can be treated.


Explanation


Indeed, philosophy treats a subject, or even object, and the alignment comes into focus now as that. It seems that Man is winning with the great cause when it comes to the alignment. It seems the great song of Man is being sung. It seems a great triumph of the human spirit. In poetry something as Symbolic would be dead. Poetry finds itself in nuances, contingencies and inklings not important things. It is a guess but I would say philosophy is the correct endorsement for the alignment. So it seemed when the band fell north – we all got philosophising in the camper van, and God was the topic. I remember everyone apart from me having some security over their own opinions, whereas I tended to the third party of agnosticism. The alignment is big, in literal scale and socio-political significance, and the questions it makes us ask are big questions too: question of whether God exists or not; questions as to the intelligent design of the universe; questions about chance and fate; about random-ness or determinism. I was at the time a practising poet and left the alignment more or less alone in my work, unless it was a prose paragraph, and was wise to do so too. It’s just too big to fit into a poem. If my life were a game of Tetris, the pieces would all be too big for the screen and the alignment especially so. It is public and political but only from a private residence and everywhere else too at the same time. The Plough also aligned with the oldest fell in London, in Paris, in Rome – and still only from our home.



*


Proposition 52


The tail end of the encrypted node, that a clock is only as fast as a cheetah, still feels right in an unfalsifiable sense.


Explanation


Science and art have different sensibilities when it comes to truth. In science truth is to be falsified, but through falsifiability nothing is 100%, only 99% at best, only the best theory at the time. In poetry there is truth-to-itself through which anything can be 100% if well-made enough. Poetic truth is like the truth of the individual, constituted of its own inner nature. A poem could say “Barnes has scored a chicken” and get away with it being 100% true but in science it would never be 100%. That a clock is only as fast as a cheetah feels right in the unfalsifiable sense to me. You could even try and encrypt it in musical truth with no words on a drum kit!



*


Proposition 53


Providing what we provide here is no different from a worker in a tea field in Malaysia.


Explanation


We tend to the house and garden. We don’t get paid, we pay the bills as per every other household. I myself can count doing the washing up as one of my daily tasks. Others that drive have to do the shopping. My brother and I are on Benefits, and my mum on a State pension, so we are not very wealthy though my mother owns the house out-right and it is quite a valuable property. Three times mum had it valued at over £800, 000 recently. We don’t expect to be paid for looking after it. We provide a Function. And it strikes me while looking at a photo of a tea-field in Malaysia that a worker there doesn’t expect to be a rich and famous rock star, just quietly gets on with his work. Then it strikes me that it is the same here, that we are on a level, that there is kinship between us here and that worker in that Malaysian tea field.



*


Proposition 54


The value of this house should include the Bigger Picture.


Explanation


My father said this, not I, and it’s funny that he did because he was taught by Karl Popper at the LSE, who didn’t believe in any “Bigger Picture” towards which an argument tends. Popper’s epistemological methodology was P1 to TT to EE to P2, meaning Problem One to Tentative Theory to Error Elimination to Problem Two, and he was diametrically opposed to logical positivism for whom even the circular argument trends forwards. Popper saw no Bigger Picture towards which things trend. My father cited his influence and yet believed “the value of our house should include the Bigger Picture.” An estate agent will not factor the alignment into the valuation of the house, simply treat it like other houses. My father thought living here his children should be aristocrats.



*



Proposition 55


To focus on one subject or object is therapeutic.


Explanation


There is something purgatorial going on. I can talk to you about, say, the maths of the new colour, or the falsification of the Nirvana barcode, or many other things, but to focus on just the alignment promises a document that is neatly sealed, a tidy piece of scholarship. It trains the mind to focus on one thing. There have been distractions, but the idea is now to get the job done. This is not a chore, but is slow progress; and something therapeutic is going on with regards to the repetition of the theme.



*


Proposition 56


Order is happiness.


Explanation


Again it was my father that said this… and does it follow that Dionysus, the Greek God of Chaos, equates to sadness? No it does not, but it doesn’t mean there is no truth in what my father said. He had a file for almost everything in life. He got up with the sun even in his illness. Maybe it follows more rationally that mess equates to Pain. For sadness may be the musical key of intelligence. And yes I think disorder leads to pain. This may have been prevalent in my narrative, always looking to tie things up neatly, always subject to a Craving for Order that is a natural part of anyone. I would say that Order is happiness could be the most prevailing theme of all of this writing about the alignment, and it is there in my word choice as well as evident in my subject matter, namely the alignment itself.


*



Proposition 57


After all that, words are insufficient for dealing with the alignment.


Explanation


The natural beauty of the Lakes in general seems impervious to effusive verbiage, fanciful magniloquence, fastidious loquacity, to words in general. The alignment in particular is jaw-dropping and heart-stopping, utterly awesome, sublime, preternatural, and thus does not fit into words. If I were in a National Park in Chile, though, I would be inspired by the surroundings and try to incorporate that in my poetry. So I don’t see anything wrong with trying to write about the alignment of the Plough and oldest fell in the Lake District. It’s description that fails, description that is not enough. It is the role of the writer to obviate not titivate.



*


Proposition 58


It must’ve been the case that on the first night of the alignment, other people elsewhere also saw the Plough.


Explanation


And their seeing the Plough might’ve been in relation to something else again, like a chimney or a different hillside, a spikier peak perhaps. This does not invalidate the alignment if it is true. The argument that is growing is that the alignment proves there is Order in the universe, that the universe is elegant, as if the product of intelligent design. If there are other places where alignment-like things happen, I would not be surprised. What one starts to wonder is whether or not they knew about the alignment in the Ancient World, when things like Stone Henge and also the Pyramids were being built.


*


Proposition 59


Even the fell is mutable on a long enough timeline.


Explanation


Everything is, even the fell. Even though it is the oldest fell, and was subject to glaciation before the newer, punk upstart peaks came about, it will not last forever, so even the alignment is not eternally present. Eternity is Now and Now and Now, and before the alignment Eternity can be observed, but the fact of the alignment, the logistics of it working, will not last forever.


*


Proposition 60


Here, the night sky only seems to turn on axis unobserved.


Explanation


Indeed, the earth spins in circles round the sun, but when it came to the alignment it was fixed in place for as long as you observed it. Taking an interest in the sky again I later found that the constellations in general only seemed to have moved when I was no longer observing the sky. I would have to come back inside to the kitchen, wait a while and go back out if I wanted to see them change. I don’t know why this is but the alignment also was held in place with fixity for several successive nights, and every time you went out into the garden at night time it would be there.



*


Proposition 61


The alignment must’ve been like taking 100 LSD tabs for breakfast to those that had never been taken into a visionary world before.


Explanation


The rest of my band, they had never seen things before, the face of stars for example, or made weird Naturalistic Observations in boyhood, and must’ve therefore perceived the alignment as like taking 100 LSD tabs for breakfast. Indeed, I heard someone say something like that when we later went to the Secret Garden Party (a festival). It was also like “attaining television,” but so was the face of stars before it, if I am not wrong. The face of stars is not a regular constellation, only a visionary access, but the alignment involves a known constellation and it seems more ancient than the face. It is no less impressive than the face, and in fact maybe even more so. It reveals that the universe works, that the world has secrets, that everything is in Order. Rather than the metaphor of LSD I would prefer to consider 100 ecstasy pills but it would be a fatal dose. Ecstasy is more about heart-magnetism than being psychoactive. Yes, I think the alignment could be unpacked in terms of Ecstasy rather than LSD. Sometimes ecstasy can make you feel like your mouth is full of water, cold, heavenly, crystal water and when you speak it all spills on the floor.



*


Proposition 62


The alignment was dead as Valley End Services.


Explanation


That’s the garage at the bottom of the valley, where we would sneak off to in order to buy cigarettes when we were young. It’s dead and has been dead for years – and yes the alignment looked as dead as that dead garage too. Here I’d like to reiterate that there’s nothing so dead as an important thing. One of the two local pubs (the John Bull) where they had Jimi Hendrix on the jukebox and a good pool table was swift to follow the dead garage. Then the local village shop and Post Office closed down. The only hope we have left is the new cafe down the beach.



*


Proposition 63


With love in it the universe is at least a luminous corpse.


Explanation


There’s a discussion in Nabokov’s novel Pnin about whether or not the universe is a corpse and if so whether or not it is at least a luminous corpse. One would hope that with love in it it is at least a luminous corpse; that the universe is not in a hearse; that the universe-hearse is not in your soul-hole whole.



*


Proposition 64


The alignment could still be a manifestation of God’s perfection.


Explanation


Yes, and it could be a manifestation of God’s perfection of which there are others. But what others? Maybe even a bar of light on the table is one. And the alignment seems to be the most archetypal, sublime and symbolic of all manifestations of God’s perfection because of the sheer scale. It is not just the scale but the fitting-into-place-ness. I was going to say it is absurd but that is not the right word, nor uncanny. The sheer logic of it is sublime. The logic of the alignment is beyond Man’s capacity to dream up and indicates a God and intelligent design. It indicates, at least that there is more to the universe than we understand; and when I say intelligent design that is not just in terms of Creation but in terms of God having a plan for Man. All of this is a major rebuttal of the pragmatic atheism of my youth.


*


Proposition 65


One might be forgiven for supposing the alignment is Man’s best chance to prove God.


Explanation


The burden of proof is on the believer in debates about God’s existence; and to be the one who lives here one must surely turn to God. The alignment might be Man’s best chance to prove God and if it can’t be done it may be a problem with the desire of the author. There are other proofs of God I came across. One was the instance where you put all your postcards of visual art, like Van Gogh and Turner, on the wall, and accidentally leave a space, then some time later are sitting talking about God with your gf and notice that only the blanks space has been visited by sunlight through the window. Then it seems like God is making a work of art to juxtapose with the post-cards, and it looks like a pulsing, subaquatic wind-chime on the wall. A Jehovah’s Witness however would say God can not be observed, whereas someone like Spinoza is a pantheist that as stated earlier believes there is no substance that is separate from God. Dedalus from Ulysses by James Joyce says ultimately we all have the same definition of God and the alignment could easily be seen to confirm this utterance from Ulysses.



*


Proposition 66


It is not glaciation that shaped The Plough.


Explanation


What I mean is because it all fits together one might consider that the Plough and Black Combe were subject to the same force, were created by the same thing. This could be God redefined. It could also be something to do with Gravity. When you think about how it all fits, you have to factor in human life into the equation too, not just in terms of the socio-political sphere but at all levels and stations. It is not glaciation that shaped The Plough but glaciation did shape the fell, and what shaped the Plough is to do with physics, is astral, but they both seem subject to the same sense of Order, an overall Order that is perplexing and which one might be forgiven for calling God.


*


Proposition 67


The other stars in the sky went un-noticed at the alignment.


Explanation


It was different at the face of stars, where the universe was enlumed, drenched with electric diamonds, wet, dripping grape-bunches of stars. When it came to the alignment, all focus was on the Plough. To call it monocentric, though, would not be right. I here refer you back to Proposition 62 – for the Plough truly looked dead at the alignment, and the surrounding sky, and the fell, and the universe at large. With the face of stars it was different: the cosmos was alive, fizzing with energy, and it was like peering directly into the erotic core of all things.


*


Proposition 68


Truly, what was needed was some pollen from the Muslim World to smoke.


Explanation


I say this knowing pollen is against the law, for I think it should be legalised. By the time of the alignment we had given up smoking pollen up here. My dad once doled it out as a reward for working outdoors, like setting up a Republic where pollen was a currency. We had many a fine and poetic conversation on pollen, my brothers and I, many an outpouring, an unspooling, including when I forewarned of September 11th in 2000. But as I say by the time the band came up to see the alignment, there was no more pollen allowed in the house. This was because of my own mental health issues which were being blamed on drug-taking. I suppose the band were anticipating there being some pollen when they arrived and were upset to find none, finding instead a walk up the nation’s tallest mountain and things tending to health.


*


Proposition 69


She has a way with wheels.


Explanation


My father said this to me, knowing that when he died, I would get handed a book I wrote at seven that had to be stored in the attic all his life. It was the one where the idea of the net was kept in “Long Storage” to give it a chance to grow all the way round the world and keep it free. It seems they couldn’t invent the net without going through our house, because it is where the Plough alignment is viable, but this was 1989. Now we have had the alignment itself and that represents the same thing in terms of “her way with wheels.” It’s all about timing, even though t = 0.



*


Proposition 70


The alignment confirms that there is no time.


Explanation


It may coincide with the socio-political sphere with exactitude but that proves there is no time. The way the alignment didn’t happen until the rhythm change in the White House, and then when it did happen hung around with persistence for as long as I could observe it, proves that as Einstein said Time is an illusion albeit a very persistent one. If there were such a thing as Time, maybe the alignment would happen with a more regular rate and frequency. But truly, with the alignment, we are dealing with the timeless realm, and that includes Eternity being Now and Now and Now. So in the alignment we see the timeless sphere bulging into the temporal sphere, like a reminder of Infinity. One’s daily activities, or nightly activities, like watching TV or having a cup of tea, suddenly go on with the backdrop of Elephant Night. The alignment is a portal to the Infinite.



*


Proposition 71


The problem with writing about the alignment is that one would always expect it to be more than mere words and to be better words too.


Explanation


You might expect, if someone was “doing the alignment,” that the document would be the Third Testament, The Unified Field Theory, the British Constitution, or the cure for cancer. To make a paper about it that just “seems intelligent” may not be enough, may be but an echo of a great thing, clinging on to it after it has gone.


No comments:

Post a Comment